It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
(male)

thatdudefromny HB User
23 male 5'6'' only 98 lbs...

I'm a 23 male and only weigh 98lbs (on good days) at 5'6''. Though I'm medically healthy, I just do not see how I can be called healthy or normal. I do not have eating disorders, and I had once done a thyroid sonogram which turned out normal.

I'm not sure what to do or where to turn for help. I hate when people tell me to "eat healthy" because restating the obvious hasn't helped my situation. Is there help for weight gaining problems out there?

Old 11-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: 23 male 5'6'' only 98 lbs...

Some possible reasons:

* You are very active in normal life (e.g. physical job, lots of exercise or sports, etc.).
* You do not eat enough calories for your base metabolic rate and activity level.
* You have an unusually high metabolism even when not doing any exercise.
* You have a malabsorption disorder that prevents you from getting the full caloric value of your food.

Without describing your activity level and food intake, it is unlikely that anyone can suggest anything other than asking your doctor if there is anything else that could be causing underweight if the obvious explanations about activity / exercise and calorie intake do not explain it.

If it is due to not eating enough calories, try eating more higher calorie density healthy foods like nuts, avocados, fatty fish, etc..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

If you are truly "medically healthy" as you say, then perhaps you shouldn't be worried. Everyone is different; if you eat a healthy diet and your body automatically arrives at that weight, then that could likely be the weight that's right for you. If that's the case, then forcing weight gain might even be counterproductive.

If you're healthy, be happy!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

If you don't have a malabsorption problem, I would suggest:

a) join a gym and work out at least three times a week

b) eat a varied diet, including animal protein (meat, fish or eggs), starches and some fiber (raw veggies, but not too much), have three meals a day (have one kind of protein for every meal)

c) rest for a while before and after each meal

d) sleep 8 hours or more in the night

e) take some natural supplements if necessary (oyster powder, pollen, glutamine, etc)

f) minimize the stress in your life and pursuit your goals as if that is all that really matters.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
(male)

thatdudefromny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Some possible reasons:

* You are very active in normal life (e.g. physical job, lots of exercise or sports, etc.).
* You do not eat enough calories for your base metabolic rate and activity level.
* You have an unusually high metabolism even when not doing any exercise.
* You have a malabsorption disorder that prevents you from getting the full caloric value of your food.

Without describing your activity level and food intake, it is unlikely that anyone can suggest anything other than asking your doctor if there is anything else that could be causing underweight if the obvious explanations about activity / exercise and calorie intake do not explain it.

If it is due to not eating enough calories, try eating more higher calorie density healthy foods like nuts, avocados, fatty fish, etc..
I do not exercise and would not call myself very active throughout my daily routine. In fact, I have been working out of my home for several months now, so I even walk less than usual. In terms of food intake, I do eat at least 1 full meal and always grab a bite when I feel hungry. I feel that I don't eat less than my friends do.
The malabsorption point that you brought out, I don't think I have that because wouldn't regular blood tests show that there are deficiencies? I can say that feel fatigued frequently.

Are there doctors that specialize on metabolism or underweight issues?

Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Have you asked your regular doctor about your underweight situation?

In terms of eating, you may want to log all of your food intake for several days, then calculate how many calories per day you are eating. It is possible that what you consider a full meal may not actually be that much.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

thatdudefromny,

You're 23 years old and weigh 98 lbs.. You didn't say that you lost a lot of weight. Is it therefore safe to assume that you have always been at a relatively low weight? (Perhaps between 96 and 100 lbs.?)

This morning I looked up your "Body Mass Index" (BMI) to get a better idea of how you're doing. Your BMI , based on your height and weight, is 15 1/2.

Based on the Nurses' Health Study of 110,000 women, the least amount of mortality occurs with a BMI less than 19. This is provided that the lower BMI is not associated with illness such as cancer, alcoholism, or anorexia etc..

So far, I don't see any indication that you have any illness. If you had said that you lost a lot of weight for no apparent reason, then I would suspect that you have some undetected illness. But you didn't say that.

What was your highest weight and how old were you at that time?

Here's something you might try: Suppose you're down about 10 lbs from your highest weight. Your goal might be to gain back 10 lbs.. Whatever your diet is now, try adding 500 extra calories per day. A simple way to do that would be to add 1/4 cup (slightly rounded on top) of unsalted almonds or dry roasted peanuts to each meal (3 times per day). Do that for about one month and see what the result is. If you haven't gained any weight, you should make an appointment see a gastroenterologist. The purpose of this would be to try to rule out any disease of your digestive organs.

There have been some rare cases where people have increased their calories to 3,000 per day and still look anorexic. They go from doctor to doctor and doctors tend to disbelieve them and diagnose them as anorexic. That's why it's important to get thoroughly checked out by a gastroenterologist. This is assuming that you don't gain any weight when you increase your calories.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
(male)

thatdudefromny HB User

Hi,
I have always been this skinny and I honestly don't remember ever weighing even 100 lbs. But the lowest I weighed was 93 lbs when I was like 15. Doctors always did regular blood tests and told me I'm healthy. Some admitted that my weight doesn't meet even the minimum requirements of any height/weight charts but they had no explanation but to say "eat healthy."

I have once proposed the idea of being checked out by a gastroentirologist or even an endocrinologist and my doctor said there is no reason for that because your blood tests are normal, you don't have any conditions or symptoms and thyroid exam was normal.

Anyway, how much amount of the peanuts or almonds do I have to eat per serving to get the sufficient calories?

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-08-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

But what do you normally eat, if I may ask? What, for instance, did you eat yesterday?

Old 11-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Lance0204 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudefromny View Post
I do not exercise and would not call myself very active throughout my daily routine. In fact, I have been working out of my home for several months now, so I even walk less than usual. In terms of food intake, I do eat at least 1 full meal and always grab a bite when I feel hungry. I feel that I don't eat less than my friends do.
The malabsorption point that you brought out, I don't think I have that because wouldn't regular blood tests show that there are deficiencies? I can say that feel fatigued frequently.

Are there doctors that specialize on metabolism or underweight issues?
firstly, we need a definition for "full meal". secondly, if you're having "at least 1 full meal" then that's not enough for your body type. how hungry are you typically throughout the day?? i'm also pretty thin but can't imagine having only 1 "full meal".

do you even want to put on weight or are you just responding to the insensitive comments of the those around you? as a naturally thin person, it takes some significant effort and discipline to put on even a slightly noticeable amount of weight. its possible, just extremely difficult (try 3000+ calories a day without fail kinda difficult).

Old 11-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

I'm willing to bet you don't eat enough. Since you work from home, am I right to assume you probably don't have a lot of outside contact with others and spend large amounts of time concentrating on stuff like the computer, etc, instead of eating?

Trying to simply eat "enough" almonds or peanuts to gain weight is not a good approach. You might want to schedule a visit with a dietician or nutrionist and get a meal plan designed for gaining weight. However, your habits are likely ingrained in you by now, so this will take a significant amount of effort on your part. Be sure it's something you really want to pursue, as you may find there are some underlying "issues" as to why you are so thin.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

thatdudefromny,

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that your blood tests were normal and you don't need a gastroenterologist or an endocrinologist. You've always been around 100 lbs. or less and you're healthy. Great! In that case, it sounds like you want to gain some weight for cosmetic reasons.

The idea to eat peanuts and almonds was only for the purpose of a short term test to see if you would need a gastroenerologist. In order for any of us to give "accurate" dietary advice, it would be helpful if you would post a list of what you eat on a typical day. For example: Breakfast (time of day and list of foods). Snack (time of day and list of foods). What time of day do you eat your full meal? How many times do you snack and what do your snacks consist of? In other words, if we could get a more accurate picture of what your food-day is like, then it might be easier for us to make more helpful suggestions.

Thanks.

Closed Thread