It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

katzy8 HB User
extreme fatigue/overall ill feeeling after eating

hello, i'm not sure if i'm in the correct board because i'm not sure what is wrong with me, but i thought i'd start here. the past few days i've been experiencing these spells of feeling ill- extreme fatigue, disorientation, a little achey. really, i just feel tired and out of it. sometimes i even feel a little feverish. i started to notice that i've been feeling this way immediately after i eat. i've only just started keeping record of what i've been eating but here are my last few meals and how they've made me feel:

Day 1
-whole wheat bagel with cream cheese: felt ill (symptoms above) immediately after eating, lasted approx. 30-40 minutes
-chicken, corn, lettuce, ranch wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla: felt very ill immediately after eating- lasted 30-40 minutes. (could hardly hold a conversation with my friend)
-mashed potatoes (contains butter,cream, salt): felt fine, however, i only had a small amount
-cheddar cheese with a few water crackers: felt fine, however, again, only had a small amount
Day 2
- yogurt with about 1/4 cup granola: felt fine, somewhat tired but could just be because it was the morning.
- Kashi "All Natural" Chicken Florentine Dinner (contains lots of grains, oats, buckwheat, rye, starch, etc.): felt very ill again, lasted approx. one hour (i'm still recovering)

i should also note that i've had these spells in the past (probably about a year ago), but they went away before i even thought about connecting them to what i had been eating. now, they're back. if anyone could offer some insight, recommendations, etc. i would really appreciate it. thank you very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
(female)

katzy8 HB User
Re: extreme fatigue/overall ill feeeling after eating

i also want to add that it seems like i've been craving more sugar lately and it seems like it's more often than not after my meals.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
(female)

care_berry HB User

Do you know about gluten intolerance and celiac disease? Sounds like you might be reacting to gluten. Most of the foods you seem to be reacting to are most likely genetically modified as well. Corn, wheat and most likely soy are in the things you ate on that list and are the most commonly modified. I have those allergies and get the opposite reaction: an anxious/panic response instead of a sleepy one. People react differently to foods so maybe it would be a good idea to go get some allergy testing done. Either that or what I am thinking is you could avoid those foods for a while and then try them again in small amounts in a few weeks little by little to see which for sure you react to. Sounds like though you will already be able to tell which ones you react badly to already so you might just want to stay away from those foods! I hope this helped at least somewhat!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Have you been tested for diabetes?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
(female)

katzy8 HB User

thank you for the response care_berry. yes, i have heard of gluten intolerance and celiac disease...but haven't done much research on them. i sort of passed them off because i would think if i had either, my falling ill would be consistent. it seems strange that these sick spells are somewhat sporadic- i'll have them for a couple weeks, sometimes even a couple months...then it goes away. perhaps this is not atypical to either gluten intolerance or celiac disease, i'm not sure. i'll look into it further. thank you for the suggestion!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
(female)

katzy8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieLeela View Post
Have you been tested for diabetes?
i'm pretty sure i have. last year when i was having these symptoms i went to the doctor and they did a few blood tests. though at the time, i hadn't connected the symptoms to my meals for some reason (i'm surprised i didn't- it could be because i tend to snack throughout the day), i would think/hope the doctor would have tested me for diabetes. i looked up at the risk factors and there is nothing that would indicate i'm at risk. i suppose the smartest thing for me to do is check with the doctor who gave me the tests :/ thanks!

Old 11-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Check your blood sugar first thing in the morning and anytime you feel horrible. Check 2 hrs after any meal. Ask your doc for a free glucose meter. Most come with 10 strips. Use 2 a day for 5 days. This will show you if you are having blood sugar issues.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

PS You want to be around 100 first thing in the am and 2 hrs after a meal under 140 but closer to 125 and under. Write the numbers down and what time they were taken. If you have low numbers of 70 or less or higher than 150 bring it to your docs attention.

Also, at risk for diabetes now a days is that you breathe and eat. No really, if you are not exercising more than 2 days a week, following a healthy diet, and you are at least 10 lbs overweight you could be at risk.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:12 AM   #9
(male)

dreamkatcha HB User

Join the club Katzy. I can totally relate to your symptoms as I've been living with brain fog and fatigue for several years now. Going gluten-free definitely helped with the most extreme symptoms, but I think there's more to it than that.

You might also want to try a low GI diet to stabilise your blood sugar levels seeing as blood glucose spikes could explain the way you feel after eating. I'm wondering if this is where I've gone wrong - for the last ten years or so I've been eating a very low fat diet, cutting out milk on cereal, butter on baked potatoes, eating starchy foods without protein etc. all of which raises the glycemic load of the carbs ensuring their sugar content is absorbed into the bloodstream faster.

Closed Thread