It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #1
(female)

andrea411 HB User
Kefir... any ideas on learning to drink it

Hi, I'm new here...this site came up when I asked is kefir supposed to smell horrible
any ideas on how to get it past the nose and the idea that its bacteria without killing it. I have been growing some great fefir on my kitchen counter for months. They are large and seemingly very healthy. I call them my kefir pets. I feed them every few days with raw sugar and bath them in distilled water but I'm squeemish about certain foods. Anything odd or strange just makes my stomach do flip flops
I'd really like to get past that and add kefir drink to my family. My daughter has all kinds of health problems and if I learn to drink this she will too.

I'd appreciate any encouragement - thanks so much, andrea

Last edited by andrea411; 11-15-2009 at 05:48 AM.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Kefir... any ideas on learning to drink it

andrea,

That's interesting! I never heard of anyone growing their own kefir. They're large, healthy and pet-like? Do you give them names and take them for walks? I wonder what they look like. Mushrooms? It sounds like fun.

How did you get started? Where did you learn to do this?

Ok, here's my advice (for better or worse). If you find your home-grown kefir so objectionable (smelly), why not buy a good healthy (organic) yogurt instead?

How old is your daughter and what health problems does she have?

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-16-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: word change

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Kefir is fermented with mostly the same bacteria that yogurt is fermented with. Indeed, commercial kefir tastes like plain yogurt, though it is thinner and more drinkable.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I remember trying the Kefir yogurt beverage and it didn't have any odd smell/taste at all! I believe it was strawberry flavored and it was very good. It was like a yogurt smoothie almost. I can't say I know anything about growing it yourself, but that sounds interesting! I would try drinking the beverage in a cup with a lid and straw. Maybe this will keep your nose from smelling it so much if it smells strange. Also, perhaps there are different things you can add to it to make it taste good. Can you add fruit to it? Maybe try some stronger flavored fruits to help with the scent and taste. Good luck!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
(female)

andrea411 HB User

JohnR41;
kefir is grown in homes all over the world.... it looks like a small cauliflower and it moves around in the jar while it is working... you could name them and take them for walks if you didn't mind looking silly.

I ordered the kefir grains online and feed them with raw sugar.
My daughter is in her 30's and has IBS and allergies, she gets sick a lot and I thought a probiotic would be good for her.

BUT I really am squeamish about bacteria, good or bad and I just need to get over it
I thought others might have experienced the same problem and have a simple solution

thanks, andrea

<edited>

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-18-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Do not post outside websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Closed Thread