It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Flat Belly Diet?

I am not trying to lose weight, as I am 100% happy with my weight and have worked hard to get into shape and be where I am. I'm a bit of a health nut now and love to work out and eat right. I recently saw the Flat Belly Diet book at the store and thought, "Yum, those cupcakes on the cover look REALLY good!" Has anyone tried this diet or any of the recipes? I am more interested in it for nutritious foods, NOT for weight loss. I noticed that the book focuses on similar eating habits that I already have, so I thought it may be a decent choice, but I only got a quick glance at it. I definitely like to make sure to I get some good sources of healthy unsaturated fats (I saw the book mentioned this) and I make sure to get plenty of lean protein and don't overdo it with carbs (and I try to stick with more of the low glycemic carbs). If anyone has heard anything about this book/the diet or has tried the recipes, definitely let me know! I'd love to try to start cooking more, but it's difficult for me to find recipes that actually look good to me. I have a sensitive stomach so I kind of avoid many foods that don't work for me.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Flat Belly Diet?

tUrRrRa,

If you would like to know which foods are the healthiest, why don't you check out "The Top 100 Zone Foods" by Dr. Barry Sears. He uses a ranking system whereby the best foods are at the beginning of the book and they get three smiley faces like this: Then two: And then one: But all the food items are within the top 100.

I don't have the book with me but I believe the first vegetable featured is cauliflower. As with every other food item, he devotes a whole page to describing why it's healthy. In other words, he tells what vitamins, minerals, compounds or phytochemicals (etc.) are contained in the food. And he might mention that it's good for preventing cancer or something else. Then the next page has a recipe for that item.

I don't use recipes but I did try his recipe for lentil soup, about 6 or 7 years ago. At that time I was still eating animal protein and I went to the store to get some goat cheese so I could stick to the recipe. That's why I don't like recipes; I never have all the items that are called for. The soup was very good, probably because of the goat cheese being so tasty (salty).

I believe there may be more recipes at the end of the book. And, I almost forgot to say, it's not really a weight loss book. It's mostly about becoming aware of which foods are the healthiest.

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-19-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: word change

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Thanks for your reply! I'll definitely look into this book and its recipes. That is perfect- I am more about healthy foods and not going for weight loss, and I have already got down to my goal weight and have maintained it. I simply feel like I run out of ideas and eat kind of the same thing all the time. Even if it's healthy, I know I need more variety and it gets boring.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
(male)

titan38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
Thanks for your reply! I'll definitely look into this book and its recipes. That is perfect- I am more about healthy foods and not going for weight loss, and I have already got down to my goal weight and have maintained it. I simply feel like I run out of ideas and eat kind of the same thing all the time. Even if it's healthy, I know I need more variety and it gets boring.
Let us know how your food turns out and if the receipes are any good. I wouldn't mind adding some variety to my diet too!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
(male)

nigelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
tUrRrRa,

If you would like to know which foods are the healthiest, why don't you check out "The Top 100 Zone Foods" by Dr. Barry Sears. He uses a ranking system whereby the best foods are at the beginning of the book and they get three smiley faces like this: Then two: And then one: But all the food items are within the top 100.

I don't have the book with me but I believe the first vegetable featured is cauliflower. As with every other food item, he devotes a whole page to describing why it's healthy. In other words, he tells what vitamins, minerals, compounds or phytochemicals (etc.) are contained in the food. And he might mention that it's good for preventing cancer or something else. Then the next page has a recipe for that item.

I don't use recipes but I did try his recipe for lentil soup, about 6 or 7 years ago. At that time I was still eating animal protein and I went to the store to get some goat cheese so I could stick to the recipe. That's why I don't like recipes; I never have all the items that are called for. The soup was very good, probably because of the goat cheese being so tasty (salty).

I believe there may be more recipes at the end of the book. And, I almost forgot to say, it's not really a weight loss book. It's mostly about becoming aware of which foods are the healthiest.
Thanks for your valuable information, I am a new member to this forum having much interested in health related. I am eating about the quantity of food that the average person eat but I feel that I am overweight. But now I read your tips its boost me to have a great diet and support for my health in future.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad I am able to help! If I buy the book, I'll definitely let you guys know how I like the recipes. I really want to make the cupcakes I saw on it as a healthier alternative to baked treats.

Lately my stomach has been pretty upset due to stress! I hate that. The more fruits and veggies I eat, the worse it gets. I'm getting married in one week and all the last minute planning has made me very stressed. I am excited, but also can't wait until things slow back down again so I can focus on trying more recipes and RELAX

Closed Thread