It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
When should meat be considered processed?

When I think of processed foods, I seldom think of meat. Although, there are some meats like spam and hot dogs that are obviously processed. But what about steak and farm raised fish?

Shouldn't we consider the processing to begin with the feeding of the animals? If so, that would make grain-fed beef a processed food. Likewise, farm raised fish, chickens, turkeys etc. are all processed.

It seems unusual that meat can look like a whole food (unprocessed) when usually it's highly processed by way of being grain-fed. Grain-fed meat is higher in saturated fat and omega 6. Even fish like tilapia and salmon can be very high in omega 6. I read that if you eat grain-fed fish, you might as well be eating a steak.

I also read that eating lean meat is generally considered healthful by comparison to fatty meat. It's better but not the best you can do to promote health. It's like saying that homemade cookies are ok as long as you only use half the sugar that's called for in the recipe.

Where should we draw the line? When would you consider meat to be a processed food?

Thanks

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-18-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: punctuation

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread