It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
(male)

SpeedStick HB User
Lost weight - now I'm constantly hungry and tired

A few months ago, I had what I thought was a cold for an extended period of time, probably bordering on 4 weeks, since I work outside and didn't treat it properly at the time. The result is that I ended up losing about 30 pounds during that time, although I didn't realize the severity of my weight loss until later, as I didn't used to regularly weight myself.

About a month or so after that, I started feeling constant hunger pains and began putting back on some weight. However, months later, these hunger pains continue, even though I eat constantly throughout the day to try and alleviate them, and I'm back at a healthy weight for someone my height (5'11", 160 pounds). When I eat a large meal, I feel full on some level, as in I can't stomach another bite, but at a deeper level I continue to feel hunger pains, and am quickly hungry again within a couple of hours.

At times, the hunger is so acute that it wakes me up early in the morning, or interferes with my daily activities. I've also felt low energy throughout the day, as well as some erectile difficulties during this time. However, my doctor put me through a full battery of blood and urine tests and told me there were no abnormal results.

I assume all these problems are a result of my extreme weight loss during that earlier time period, but I'm not sure why I haven't been able to return to normal, given the balanced (and large) diet I've been trying to eat. Needless to say, this has caused a lot of aggravation in my life, which I'm sure isn't helping matters. Any help or insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Lost weight - now I'm constantly hungry and tired

SpeedStick

Are you getting enough protein in your diet? Inadequate amounts of protein usually will cause one to get hungry sooner than usual. If you need to have a snack, make sure it contains a balance of protein, carbs and fat.

Are you working more or experiencing more stress than usual? If so, you would naturally burn more calories.

When you eat a big meal, what do you eat? I would think if you fill up mostly on starches you will feel hungry sooner than you expect.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
(male)

SpeedStick HB User
Re: Lost weight - now I'm constantly hungry and tired

Hey John, thanks for replying. I'm trying to eat as healthy as I can without really knowing much about diet. Having just finished college I can't say I have the best habits, but still... been eating cereals in the mornings, protein shakes during the day (peanut butter, bananas, whey protein, etc), beef or chicken at some point, lots of pasta with vegetable sauce.

I'm hoping right now that if I can just get my weight back to where it was before this started that things might get better, but that doesn't really make much sense to me because I'm a pretty normal weight for my height right now, and my body doesn't seem to want to go above the 160-pound mark, after moving pretty quickly up from 140 or so.

A bit more stress than usual, mostly financially, but I don't feel it's really a problem. I've been more stressed before and haven't had any of these symptoms. I can't help but think it's connected to that mass weight-loss earlier, but that's my gut (hopeful) feeling and not based on any expertise.

Closed Thread