It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
(male)

dowewas HB User
Fast food

does anyone have any strategies to stop eating fast food?

i have been trying to lose 20lbs for about a year now. when i dont eat out it seems that i do not gain weight. however, after about a week and a half of not eating out i loose control. as a result, i have to make up for lost time.

any tips will help. thanks.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Fast food

dowewas,

It might help if you would take notice of what the trigger is that sets you off. It seems like it must be more than just the passage of time. Why is it a week and a half and not one week, for example?

Do you get bored with your own cooking? If so, you might solve the problem by learning to cook something healthy that reminds you of eating out. Perhaps a low fat low sodium hamburger on whole grain? Or the low fat hamburger with a small boiled potato. In other words, it might remind you of eating out but you would have more control over the content of the meal, so as to limit the damage. Well, it's just a thought.

If the trigger is advertising that comes in the mail, don't look at it when you're hungry. Or, don't ever look at it; just give it a quick glance and throw it out. As soon as you stop to admire a beautiful color photo of a hamburger or pizza, you will likely be hooked. That's the purpose of advertising and it often works. The same goes for looking through magazine ads or Sunday flyers that come with the newspaper.

Have some good tasting snack or meal idea ready to nip your appitite in the bud when you begin to feel the urge to buy fast food. Don't let yourself get hungrier and hungrier until you can no longer resist.

Good luck!

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-30-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

This can be a tricky habit to break! I used to have a full day from 7:30am-10m and didn't really have any breaks to eat dinner, other than my drive from work to night classes. The only convenient place I'd pass was McDonalds, and there wasn't time to stop and get something decent. What I did was start packing snacks to take with me in advance, so I didn't have to worry about something when it came time to eat. I would prepare bags full of salad, a little bag of light dressing, fruits that couldn't get smashed, veggies to snack on- such as baby carrots, a whole wheat pita, and some chicken or turkey breast. With these items, I could make a decent dinner. They were easy enough to pack in a bag with an ice pack and just eat them as I could. It was VERY helpful to prepare these ahead of time! This can be helpful if you tend to get fast food because of a time issue.

If time isn't the problem, and it's more that the food tastes good, there are ways to help with this too. What are your favorite foods from these restaurants? Do you like hamburgers? Try making your own healthy burgers at home. I find that a freshly made (grilled) lean sirloin burger is very juicy and delicious. I enjoy them more than one from a restaurant, and I don't feel guilty. I also use whole wheat buns and healthy toppings. If I want fries, I bake my own sweet potato fries. I just slice up a sweet potato, brush it with a little olive oil and sea salt, and bake until crispy. Delicious! There are great ways (that aren't difficult) to make healthy versions of your favorite foods at home. You can look up some recipes online to get some ideas.

I still have the occasional fast food for a treat, such as while traveling, but not often at all. I notice that after I cut it out for the most part, I feel more energized. When I DO end up getting fast food, I usually feel sluggish afterwards. That feeling motivates me to not eat it for a while.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
(male)

dowewas HB User

Thanks. This advice is very motivational.

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-05-2009 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Closed Thread