It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
(male)

PopKing HB User
What is the best milk for the body?

What milk is the best for you (most benefits).

Diary milk,Goat milk,almond milk, soy milk,coconut milk..etc??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User
Re: What is the best milk for the body?

Dairy milk is probably the worst, maybe soy milk the second-worst. I've had good luck with almond milk and rice milk; they don't make me sick. I don't know much about goat milk, except that it's more similar to human milk than cows'.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

PopKing,

I basically agree with Arggg. I stay away from dairy milk and soy milk. But I also stay away from goat's milk because it's dairy too (or at least it's still animal protein). Plus the fact that it's very expensive and taste really bad. I bought a can of goat's milk once; I took one sip and threw the rest away.

Almond milk seems interesting but I've never seen it in any store. I wonder: If Almonds are expensive, Almond milk must be super expensive. And wouldn't it be high in fat? And what happens to the fiber? Do they throw it out? I buy natural Almonds and have a few every day. Why pay more for processing and most likely end up with a less healthy product?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

I would definitely stay away from dairy milk.
Unless you or your family have a hx of hormone-positive cancer's (breast, unterine, prostate, ovary.) there is no reason not to enjoy soy milk. - Be sure to buy UNSWEETENED soy.

Soy milk has the following benefits:
-It is an excellent source of plant proteins.
-It is relatively low-fat (4gms/8oz).
-No cholestrol or saturated fat.
-A good source of calcium, especially if fortified.
-Contains the phytochemicals diadzen and genestin to keep the immune system strong.

Usweetened almond milk is a good milk as well, but is low in protein. Lowfat. - Usually 2gms/8oz.

Rice milk has a lot of carb and very little protein.

Goat's milk is easier to digest for those who cannot tolerate cow's milk. Make sure it is pasteurized. It is an animal product, of course.

I think is always preferable to eat lower on the food chain and therefore prefer soy milk.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

sjb81 HB User

What are your goals/concerns? Are you lactose intolerant? Do you want something low fat? Do you want something natural? Organic?

If you're generally speaking, then the others have answered well, I think.

I liked reading the replies to this post. I do NOT see a need to drink cow's milk (or goats, or elephants, or cats, etc) and I don't see a need to force my daughter to drink it.

I was buying SILK for a while until I read in Alicia Silverstone's book that it's almost as worthless as regular cow's milk in that it's high in fat. I've also heard that nutritionally, it's not as good as some may believe (though I don't know what truth there is to that). I believe Alicia Silverstone's book recommended the rice or almond milk though I've never tried it. But John poses an interesting thought: what about the almond milk being processed?

I would ultimately say you don't need to drink milk. But that's just me. I'm obviously not a nutritionist, though, I just have my beliefs. And yeah, I do occasionally put SILK or even organic 1% milk on my cereal...but that's maybe once every 2-3 months. I'll cook with SILK or organic 1% milk if necessary. I'd love to cut it out of my diet completely, eventually.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I pretty much have to stick with organic, lactose-free milk! I know it's still dairy and there is much debate (as you can see on this board), but with my sensitive stomach, soy and almonds bother me. I haven't tried the rice milk though... would those of you who drink it describe it close to any of the other milks available? I haven't tried goat milk or anything, but I can tolerate the taste of soy, it just hurts my tummy as well.

I probably only have one cup of milk per day and get my calcium from other sources. I am mostly a big water drinker

Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
(female)

sjb81 HB User

Hmmm I wonder how the rice milk would affect you.

Good luck... I'm sorry you have the tummy problems...that's no fun, huh?

Take care!

Old 01-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Perhaps I'll give it a try and see how it goes! I am fine with rice-based products, as I occasionally eat rice (although mostly wild rice or brown rice). The stomach problems are definitely annoying, but very manageable when I prepare my own food. I have the most trouble when I'm at a guest's home or out to eat and get served things I know won't agree with me!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

When I looked at labels of various beverages that superficially resemble milk, most of them, other than actual milk and soy milk, have a very low protein content. If you are drinking or otherwise using the "milk" with the expectation of it contributing to your protein intake (which may be important if you are doing heavy exercise and/or are restricting calories, or are eating an otherwise low protein diet), you may want to check the labels carefully in that respect.

Obviously, other nutrients of concern should be checked on the labels. For example, some soy milks are fortified with calcium and vitamin D, while others are not.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

^This is an excellent point! I actually have to make sure I don't go OVER on my protein because I tend to eat a lot of protein (and I like to make protein shakes). I definitely want to make sure I'm getting the calcium I need though!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #11
(female)

alakazou HB User

Dairy milk is your best source of vitamin D, other milk/soy products are sometimes imitated but it doesn't compare to "real milk". Personally, I favour 1% and skim milk; I drink 8L of it per week and don't have any weight issue. My husband prefers goat milk; I find it tastes like 2% milk.

I find that most soy milk, especially the flavoured ones contain a lot of sugar. Anything that has a flavour will contain quite a bit of sugar.

Each glass of milk has vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus to help build strong bones, protein for lean muscle, potassium to help regulate blood pressure, vitamin A for healthy eyes and skin and to help regulate your immune system, and B vitamins for energy.

Closed Thread