It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
(male)

tariqa HB User
Which grains double in size when they are cooked or sprouted?..also sprouting tips?

hello people
my name is Tariq

i have a question about grains

im trying to buy grains on a budget..
i dont wanna spend to much and at the same time, i wanna eat to my recommended levels

can anyone give me tips on how to buy grain so that i buy enough to fufiil my daily reuirements?

how can i stretch grains?

do grains double in size like beans?

if so, which ones?

i bought some wheat berries and they didnt look like they doubled

also
does anyone have any tips on sprouting grains?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Which grains double in size when they are cooked or sprouted?..also sprouting tip

Tariqa,

I soak whole grains overnight and some of them appear to double in size. One is "oat groats" which is the most natural form of oats. The only place I can find it is in a health food store. It might seem expensive but if you measure just 1/4 cup dry each day, one bag will last a long time. After it's cooked I mix it with fruit and a small amount of chopped nuts.

Another one is whole wheat berries. I soak 1/4 cup overnight and it seems to double too. Then I use the whole wheat berries to make soup.

Whole grains contain phytates like beans so that's why I soak them overnight. After soaking, your drain and rinse.

Barley is another one that I soak overnight and it appears to double too. Barley is very good for your health as it is high in fiber, among other things. And I think it is reasonably priced. Lately I have been mixing whole wheat berries with barley. I store them dry in one container. Then when I take 1/4 cup for soaking, I automatically get an equal mixture of both.

If you're on a tight budget, you might try mixing 3 items as follows: 1) whole grain rice 2) whole wheat berries and 3) whole grain barley. Rice is very inexpensive campared to the others and it will serve the purpose of stretching them. So you'll get a little of everything without breaking the bank.

The oat groats can be used alone for breakfast (or try mixing with barley). Actually, you can have any of them for breakfast. I just happen to prefer oats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread