It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 04:12 AM   #1
(male)

lucomoho HB User
Weight Gain Problems - No Appetite

Hi everybody,

Sorry if this is a long post.

I've had problems with my weight for as long as I can remember. I very much underweight. I'm 24 years old, 5 foot 10 inches, and weigh between 9 stone and 9 and a half stone. I'm very unhappy with myself. I think it's making me depressed. In the summer, when it's red hot, I daren't even wear a tshirt. I'll sit there in the baking sun in jeans and jumper.

My arms are painfully thin, as are my legs. Most of my bones are visible. I try to keep my hands in my pockets most of the time. My fingers are embarrasing. I've tried protein shakes, but to no avail.

Wherever I look, it tells me to eat the correct foods. Chicken, nuts, fish, beans etc. My main problem is my appetite. It's almost non existent. I can be full midway through a small meal.

What's wrong with me? Could there be something wrong, medically, with me? No-one else in my family is like me.

Please help. It's getting me down more and more each day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Weight Gain Problems - No Appetite

lucomoho,

As long as being thin is not caused by any illness or disease, it's really a good sign. You weigh between 9 and 9 1/2 stone, which translates to about 18.5 on the BMI chart. That's good as long as you are eating a healthy diet and are physically fit. I've never heard of anyone dying of thinness, other than anorexics. And I doubt that's your problem because you're trying to gain weight rather than lose weight.

Because you lack a good appetite there's always a chance that there could be a medical problem. Have you been to a doctor? You should get a complete physical including blood work. Get checked for blood levels of vitamins D3, B12, B6 or whatever the doctor thinks is important.

If your family doctor doesn't find anything wrong, it might be a good idea to see a gastroenterologist.

Back to the BMI: You said you are very much underweight. That's your impression or judgement. But when I checked with a BMI calculator online, it stated that 18.5 to 24.9 is normal. And when I put your height and weight into the calculator your BMI came out to be 18.5 . That's normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
(male)

ilhan HB User

Same problem. Why? Mine was low B12.
The Doctor gave me B12 pills, it helped me to gain weight, from 59 to 64 kilos, I'm 185 cm in height. But I cannot gain more now. I think I need B12 shots. I'll go again to a doctor.
(I'm doing all of that stuff, more carbonhidrats, fruits, different things, meat etc..)

Also low zinc or iron causes low weight, one of them I think, I'm not sure now.

JohnR41 is right. But I don't agree with him about BMI. When evrybody says that your are underweight you are underweight.

Last edited by ilhan; 01-04-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan View Post
JohnR41 is right. But I don't agree with him about BMI. When evrybody says that your are underweight you are underweight.
Not necessarily, since in many places, most people are overfat and would look at people in the usual "normal weight range" as "underweight". On the other hand a BMI of 18.5 is at the margin of the normal and underweight range; if one's body composition is a bit unusual, someone of that BMI may have either too little muscle or too little fat for good health.

The original poster may want to see a doctor to find out what may be causing lack of appetite.

Last edited by tjlhb; 01-04-2010 at 11:54 PM.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:13 AM   #5
(male)

lucomoho HB User

Thank you everyone your your kind responses. It's good to know people take the time to try and help when I'm feeling like this.

JohnR41 - Thank you for your response. I am definately going to go to the doctor. I went about 6 months ago, and told him about my situation. He didn't do much about it, just asked me what I eat. I definately think a physical is the only thing that will put my mind at ease. I've printed your response, and will take it with me to the doctor. Thanks.

ilhan - Thanks for your reply. I'll definately query B-12 with my doctor also. Whilst I understand what JohnR41 means by having a 'normal' BMI, it's painfully clear that I'm underweight simply by looking at me.

This has also beaten my confidence to a pulp. I don't know whether this could effect my appetite?

I'm definately going to get checked at the doctors asap. I'll let everyone know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread