It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

ladyangleraut HB User
Horrible diet for children

I know that this may seem to be a no-brainer question but I need support from anyone to make this person see that what she is doing is wrong. Is a diet of noodles fried in butter, McDonalds chicken nuggets and french fries, and un-cooked hot dogs healthy for a 10 year old boy? Can someone please explain why it is not healthy? He is trying new things but more than three pieces of rice and he thinks he is going to choke. He is over-weight so that is not the problem. It's the amount of nutrients that he is lacking. Can someone else please explain this better than I can to show this person that what she is doing is harmful to her child??? Thank you all.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Horrible diet for children

Lack of vegetables, fried carbohydrates (high calories low nutrition), and most of the fats are the bad kinds (butter, whatever McDonald's fries stuff in, hot dogs).

If by "he is over-weight" you mean that he is fat, then that is one obvious problem that will only get worse if he keeps eating like that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User

Her son may appear healthy but in fact he may be malnurished and missing many vital nurtrients and minerals that are need to maintain his health. It is important that kids get the nutrition they need to maintain their health while they are kids and also as an adult. By feeding him nothing but junk food, his mother is not only endangering his health but she is not doing her job as a mother as far as teaching him about the importantence of our diet and health. She needs to teach him how to eat a healthy diet and how to make smart choices about what to eat and how much. She should also be teaching him why it is important to eat a healthy diet. One way to do this is to simply lead by example, if she eats a healthy diet, then her son will be more likely and more willing to also eat healthily. What she teaches him now will have an effect on his entire life. How a child eats can effect everything from their immune system to their behavior. Perhaps his mother does not understand the need for a healthy diet herself. If she is a friend/family member or such, maybe you could find a program that teaches basic nutrition and healthy eating habits locally and enroll yourself, her and her son? Make sound like she will be doing you a favor by going with you. This way you can step back and let some else(hopefully a dietitian or medical professional) do the actual teaching. The are also many books and magazines that offer simple and practical recipes that are very healthy and balanced as well as explain why things are/are not healthy and their importance or unhealthy aspects. Maybe she would be willing to read these?
If her excuse is the very common "but it's what he likes or he won't eat that", she needs to realize that she is the adult and he only eats what she lets him eat. Children have parents for a reason, they do not know what is best for them and it is our job to teach them what they need to know. How to eat a healthy diet and why we need to eat a healthy diet is just one of many things that we need to teach our children. She needs to remember that her job is not to keep him happy 24/7 by giving him what he wants but to take care of his needs and do what is best for him. No one has ever looked back on their life amid failing health and said "I may be miserable now but at least I got to eat those cookies/pizza/etc." She needs to keep this in mind as her choices now will effect him forever.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

ladyangleraut,

I'm pretty much in agreement with the other replies. The boy's diet is high fat, high starch, high sodium, highly processed, low in fiber and low in nutrition. That can't possibly be all he eats! Ugh!! I hope it's not too late for both of them to make a change.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
(male)

Jolietkev HB User

Surely, you cannot be serious. That type of diet will only lead to poor health.

<edited>

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-07-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: off topic

Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I think the other posters already gave a lot of good reasons why this is not a healthy diet. Unfortunately, some people do not think of these things. I hope they are able to understand what a poor diet this is and how it affects the son's health. Ultimately, the parent needs to make the decision to make some changes (of course if the boy were old enough, he could on his own, but I am assuming he is younger). THere are plenty of tasty foods out there that he could enjoy that are healthier. He can even still eat some of these things as an occasional treat, but definitely not JUST that!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
(male)

titan38 HB User

The fact that it isn't healthy isn't the issue. No one who eats this way does so because they are concerned with their health. It's about self-indulgence, cost, time and convenience above all. Health has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-09-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Closed Thread