It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
(male)

Craigy HB User
Are the Subway veggie Salads healthy in large amounts?

Hi everyone, thanks for reading. I don't eat much fruits and vegetables, so I have started making a point of getting the vegetable salad at subway a few times a week (just veggie, not meat or cheese), and possibly more if it is healthy enough.

Its loaded with vegetables, so I'm thinking it has to be good and healthy for me. But I am just asking to make sure, because I know that eating out is usually not too healthy (for whatever reason, possibly the chemicals they put in it).

So to clarify, is eating the subway salad all the time healthy?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Are the Subway veggie Salads healthy in large amounts?

Craigy, I am thinking it most likely is healthy, but it does depend on what kind of dressing you put on it, count the calories and fat content.

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Craigy,

I agree with 1Sunny1 that it depends on the dressing. In addition to calories and fat, it can also be high in sugar and sodium. Not only that but they most likely use vegetable oil which means it will likely be high in omega 6. The best oils are extra virgin olive oil and canola oil (not made from vegetables).

Being that you didn't mention bread, I assume the salad doesn't come with bread. If that's the case, you're better off without bread. Their "seven grain wheat bread" only contains a token amount of whole grain. They use caramel coloring to make it look like healthy 100% whole grain. Essentially, it is white bread with a pinch of whole grain.

Note: A few times a week is better than nothing but you should learn to make a really good healthy salad at home every day. Then you could include a wide variety of vegetables and top it off with a truly healthy oil like olive oil. Also, you could add some beans and whole grain pasta for complete protein. It would be a complete meal.

Last edited by JohnR41; 01-16-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added "Note:"

Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Not only that but they most likely use vegetable oil which means it will likely be high in omega 6. The best oils are extra virgin olive oil and canola oil (not made from vegetables).
Olive oil is made from the fruit of olive trees; canola oil is made from seeds of a plant whose leaves are eaten as a green vegetable (mostly in Asia, where the leaves are usually called the local language translation of "oil vegetable").

But most other "vegetable oils" are made from things that are often not called "vegetables" on your dinner plate:

soybean oil
peanut oil
cottonseed oil
coconut oil
palm oil
corn oil (corn is mostly a cereal grain; fresh corn on the cob is a much lesser use of corn)

Coconut oil and palm oil may be a concern if your blood LDL cholesterol levels are high. However, they are not common in salad dressings.

Creamy salad dressings are often very calorie dense, so be careful there. Some low fat salad dressing are high in sugar, so be careful there.

Last edited by tjlhb; 01-16-2010 at 04:32 PM.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
(male)

Craigy HB User

Wow thanks to each of you for the replies, you guys really know your stuff.

Im fairly surprised at how many replies I got already, also I should note that I don't really care about gaining weight (im not trying to lose or maintain any weight) I'm just trying to eat healthier.

Although maybe its all related, but for me personally, I would rather eat the meal that has more calories, and is more fattening than the meal that is low in fat but less healthy (be it preservatives or whatever).

Thanks!!

Old 01-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
(female)

littleshelly HB User

Go to the grocery store and buy fresh produce, organic if possible. Spinach, different kinds of lettuce, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes (actually a fruit) broccoli, cauliflower. Whatever you like. Take them home and wash well. Make a big salad and put it in the refrigerator. Then eat a salad each day. Vinegar and olive oil is excellent to use as a dressing. Actually adding olive oil which contains good fat helps your body absorb the nutrients from the salad. Vinegar has many health benefits also.
You can do the same with fruit.
That is an easy way to get your fruit and vegetable servings each day.
You can also add vegetables to pasta sauce, casseroles, sandwiches, scrambled eggs, soup and so on.
Adding spices is an excellent way to get antioxidants. Sage, oregano, cilantro, rosemary, thyme, parsley, garlic. All very good for you. Put that on your salad mixed with the vinegar and oil.

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-18-2010 at 06:00 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 01-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
(male)

Craigy HB User

Thanks for the replies. For now I gotta stick with subway. DO you think there is MSG possibly in the salad though? Because I am learning now that its everywhere.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I wouldn't think that the salad at Subway has MSG... at least I sure hope not! That would be pretty scary. The fresh vegetables should be fine, although I'm not so sure about the dressings they use there.

I am a big fan of salads! I often don't really care for a lot of vegetables, but I do load up on salads. I like to buy large containers of organic (organic lasts a LOT longer for me and the kind I buy costs about the same) spring mix or baby spinach (go for darker leaves). I fix myself a big plate full of salad and add extras that I enjoy (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, a little avocado, etc). For the dressings, I definitely read the nutrition facts. I try to make sure it isn't packed with unhealthy trans or saturated fats or sugars. I can usually find a light dressing that has only or mostly unsaturated fats from olive oil. These vinaigrettes taste great to me! I try to keep my serving size of dressing smaller too- around 1 tablespoon rather than 2 tablespoons. Sometimes I add a little shredded parmesean cheese for some extra flavor without too many calories. I typically add chicken breast to my salads though for some protein. I keep it lean by using grilled or baked chicken breast.

Yum! The great thing about salads is that you can add different things to them and make them different. I tend to eat fruits as snacks. Apples are so easy to pack with me to work to eat as a snack or with a meal.

It can definitely be a challenge to find healthy foods when going out to eat. I often do order salads, but I watch out for fried toppings, rich dressings, and anything else that could "kill" the salad. You can always ask for such things on the side and enjoy just a small amount of them. Some places offer wheat buns as an alternative to white, but keep in mind that some places use butter on them and toast them, so you get a very greasy bun!! I ordered what sounded like a healthy turkey burger on wheat one time, and now I know to make sure to ask for a PLAIN wheat bun without butter.

Good luck!

Closed Thread