It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
How should we classify cooking oils?

Tjlhb correctly pointed out that most cooking oils don't come from vegetables. It's amazing that I never really noticed that before. I was sure that I had read about "vegetable oils" many many times in newspaper articles and in quite a few health books.

So I went online to Wikipedia and here are the oils they list as vegetable oils:

Olive oil

Palm oil

Soybean oil

Canola oil

Pumpkin seed oil

Corn oil

Sunflower oil

Safflower oil

Peanut oil

Grape seed oil

Sesame oil

Rice bran oil

Many, if not all, of the above oils are not from vegetables. So why are they usually known as "vegetable oils"? In your opinion, how should we refer to them? Cooking oils? Seed oils? Legume oils?

Any thoughts on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: How should we classify cooking oils?

Because vegetable means plant.

As in "animal, vegetable or mineral".

It's widely used and everybody knows what it means.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Thanks, esker. After I posted here I went to my "Webster's Dictionary" and that's what I found. Basically they define "vegetable" as any plant that's used as food. And "vegetable oil" is any oil coming from fruit or seeds of plants.

Now I understand why I was confused and the next time I talk about oils I'll be more careful.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
(female)

tabra1 HB User

I am interested in oils in particular and have done a lot of research on them. I am new to this board and saw you have a lot of entries. You must be very into health research. Do you mind sharing more you have found out about oils esp coconut oil esp since there seems to be a lot of controversy about it.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-22-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: please try using the Quick Reply button instead of the Quote Reply button

Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
(female)

tabra1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by esker View Post
Because vegetable means plant.

As in "animal, vegetable or mineral".

It's widely used and everybody knows what it means.
Did you know that olive oil is considered a fruit juice? What do you know about coconut oil? I am new to this board and am not sure how it works but I am pleased to find others who share my interests in health research.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

tabra1,

Yes, I'm very interested in reading/researching anything that has to do with nutrition or health. It's interesting and a good way to try to maintain good health.

I can't say that I know everything about ALL oils. But I do know some things in general. For example, all oils should be used sparingly because they are all 100% fat.

Coconut oil is said to be high in saturated fat but I couldn't find what the percentage is per tablespoon. Do you know? I learned a long time ago to stay away from coconut because it's high in saturated fat, so I imagine that coconut oil is likewise high in saturated fat. I believe olive oil contains 14% saturated fat. So how does that compare with coconut oil?

The mediterranean diet includes olive oil. Dr Sears, of the Zone Diet, says that olive oil is the best because it comes from fruit. (Yes, olives grow on trees so they are considered to be fruit.) Because the oil comes from fruit it's supposed to be high in antioxidants. Coconuts come from trees too but I've never read any health book that recommends coconut oil. It must be because it's high in saturated fat.

Having said that, there's one doctor that I know of, Dr. Dean Ornish, who says that not even olive oil is that good because it contains 14% saturated fat. For people who are trying to reverse coronary artery disease, he recommends that they avoid oils. If that's the case, then where are we to get our good fats that are essential for health? I'll have to reread his book.

I don't have coronary artery disease so I use small amounts of extra virgin olive oil and small amounts of various nuts.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Coconut oil is about 86% saturated.

Olive oil tends to be favored by many since it is mostly mono-unsaturated, which is widely seen as the best type of fat for improving blood cholesterol levels.

Closed Thread