It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

kelseyxshae HB User
advice for GAINING weight?

I'm a 5'3" - 5'4", 22 year old female. I've always had considerable difficulty in gaining and maintaining my weight, and I'm very petite. I'm not sure what weight I should be according to my size and height, but I do know that I'm very uncomfortable being as thin as I am (approx. 90 lbs), and I'd love to gain atleast 20 - 25 lbs. I am a healthy eater -- I eat three meals a day with snacks in between, I love all foods and don't think I actually dislike anything, so my diet is extensive. I'm at the point where I've tried several different protein shakes, vitamins, and I feel like I could really just use some advice on the foods that would be best for me to eat in order to gain the weight that I need, how much I should eat, and how often. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-21-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Please post your question on one board only. This post will remain, but the others have been removed.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: advice for GAINING weight?

In addition to eating more, you may want to add in some muscle building exercises (e.g. pullups, rows, pushups, dips, squats) so that your weight gain will include muscle rather than only fat (though your current body fat percentage needs to be considered in how much muscle versus fat you want to gain). Exercise does increase your calorie needs, though, so you need to carefully tailor the exercise to maximize muscle gain with the minimum calorie used by the exercise if you are trying to gain muscle.

Healthy high calorie density foods include fatty fish (low mercury varieties), avocados, and nuts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: advice for GAINING weight?

kelseyxshae,

You need to gain at least 15 lbs. to reach the minimum acceptable weight on the BMI chart. If you've been under that (90 lb.) for most of your adult life, how has your health been? I'm just wondering if you're motivated to improve your health or the way you look. Or is it both?

If you would list what you usually eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, that might help us to make some suggestions. Don't forget to include portion sizes.

Closed Thread