It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
(female)

Jazzy12 HB User
Chia seeds (not from chia pet)

Is anyone eating chia seeds as a supplement and have you seen any health benefits?

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-03-2010 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Please post your question on one board only. This post will remain, but the others have been removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Chia seeds (not from chia pet)

Jazzy12,

I looked at chia seeds in a health food store but didn't buy any because the price was something like $7.99 per container.

Since that time I have read a book about phytates and found out that seeds (of any kind) are high in phytates. Phytates are needed for the seeds to sprout and begin growing. In humans, phytates are not all bad but have some bad effects. Too much phytate in your diet can hinder the absorption of certain minerals.

Just as we soak beans overnight, I suppose it would be a good idea to soak seeds too (then rinse).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
(male)

titan38 HB User

What have you heard are the benefits?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan38 View Post
What have you heard are the benefits?
The benefits of phytates? That's a good question. It's been a while since I read about it. I was going to report back after reading but didn't think anyone would be interested. Now I'm not sure I can give a complete answer from memory so I'll have to get back to you later. I believe the book stated that it's still being studied, so it's not certain. But I will try to get an answer for the "suspected" benefits.

Anyway, I think people should know that soaking beans, oat groats, whole grain rice, seeds or whatever, doesn't remove all phytates. It just removes a certain percentage. So we're getting some phytate in our diets whether we like it or not. Some of the foods we consider to be healthy are the highest in phytates and can't be soaked.

The information is strange to say the least. Perhaps I'll start a new thread in a day or two to explain more. Thanks for asking.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I use Chia seeds to supplement protien to my Vegetarian diet. I put them in water in a jar in the fridge and add them to smoothies.....Hope that helps.

Closed Thread