It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
(male)

jonas123 HB User
Appetite-regulating hormones...

Hi,

I am curiously asking if there have been any strides in the medical field as far as suppressing or stimulating appetite with appetite-regulating hormones that are found naturally in the body. In case anyone does not have any prior knowledge on this subject, here is some info:

Four appetite-regulating hormones found in the human body are Ghrelin, Insulin, Leptin, and PYY.

Ghrelin is an appetite-stimulating hormone, which is secreted by the stomach wall, and is one of the signals that triggers feelings of hunger as mealtimes approach.

A rise in blood sugar after a meal stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin. In addition to its other functions, such as enhancing the transport of glucose into body cells and stimulating the liver and muscle cells to store glucose as glycogen, insulin suppresses appetite by acting on the brain.

Produced by adipose (fat) tissue, leptin suppresses appetite as its level increases. When body fat decreases, leptin levels fall, and appetite increases.

The hormone PYY, secreted by the small intestine after meals, acts as an appetite suppressant that counters the appetite stimulant ghrelin.

With that being said, has anyone thought of somehow emulating or extracting the appetite-suppressing (PYY, Leptin, Insulin) hormones that are naturally found in the body? Also, for those that have problems with poor appetite, maybe ghrelin "supplements" could be useful... or maybe it's just best not to try playing God and to just let the body be the way it was naturally meant to be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
(male)

jonas123 HB User
Re: Appetite-regulating hormones...

Anyone?........

Old 02-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas123 View Post
Anyone?........
You brought up an interesting subject. I just read something about this yesterday! Too bad I don't remember all of it but I do remember one thing that may be helpful.

Fruit contains fructose and this form of sugar doesn't go directly to your bloodstream. It goes to your liver. For this reason you don't get a timely signal of fullness. Therefore, if you have fruit at the end of a big meal it's easy to overdo it and keep eating more and more fruit.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
(male)

jonas123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
You brought up an interesting subject. I just read something about this yesterday! Too bad I don't remember all of it but I do remember one thing that may be helpful.

Fruit contains fructose and this form of sugar doesn't go directly to your bloodstream. It goes to your liver. For this reason you don't get a timely signal of fullness. Therefore, if you have fruit at the end of a big meal it's easy to overdo it and keep eating more and more fruit.
Eating more and more fruit would not be "overdoing it", especially if you just ate a big meal of processed foods.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
(male)

jonas123 HB User

You know what strikes me odd? I just did a search in the google scholar pages and found a lot of information on how "bad" fructose is, but when I did a search for how bad table sugar is, I found absolutely nothing. Isn't that funny? It seems to me that either the government or the FDA is suppressing all the true information, such as how bad table sugar is, and is allowing the release of all the false information, such as how bad fructose is, which is found in fruit.

Closed Thread