It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
(male)

jonas123 HB User
Is there a link between restrictive diets and psychiatric problems?

I was on a restrictive diet for over a year and developed very severe psychiatric abnormalities during that time, and am still trying to recover from them. It turns out that I was deficient for a lot of different nutrients, namely--b12 and other nutrients that I am not yet aware of.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User
Re: Is there a link between restrictive diets and psychiatric problems?

It depends on what kind of "restrictive diet" you are referring too. Vegetarian, vegan, etc?? Those kinds of diets can be very low in B-vitamins.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
(male)

jonas123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu23 View Post
It depends on what kind of "restrictive diet" you are referring too. Vegetarian, vegan, etc?? Those kinds of diets can be very low in B-vitamins.
Actually, I was a vegan for over a year straight and I was not lacking all of the b-vitamins. The only b-vitamin I was lacking was vitamin b12. I also lacked vitamin D, but you can bet that from the sun anyway. Those were the only two nutrients I lacked though. In my opinion, what I was really "lacking" was the toxic foods, such as processed garbage. I now consume them and am feeling much better than I was, although my physical health is not as good as it used to be while I was living a healthy vegan lifestyle, but atleast my emotional health is feeling better.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

omega-3 fatty acids can also be limited in a vegetarian diet.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
(male)

jonas123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg View Post
omega-3 fatty acids can also be limited in a vegetarian diet.
Sorry, but omega-3 fatty acids can actually be quite bountiful in a vegetarian or even a vegan diet. Take flaxseed, for example; flaxseed contains tons of omega-3 fatty acids. There are two forms of it though--DHA and EPA. I recall that the omega-3 in ground flaxseeds can be converted into one of the two forms that I mentioned, but if you want to get both forms, then eating fish would be the best way to go--supposedly.

Also, I have found that whenever I eat toxic foods, or unhealthy foods, I feel alot better emotionally during and afterwards and don't feel depressed anymore. On the contrary, whenever I am eating non-toxic foods I feel a lot better physically, but then I am depressed. I need to fix this problem so that whenever my mental health improves my physical health also improves, and conversely, whenever my physical health improves my mental health also improves. My goal is to have excellent overall health.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

I said omega-3 CAN be limited not that they ARE limited. Just as they CAN and generally ARE limited in the SAD. And there is question about how much of the omega-3s in flax are assimilated by the body.

What is "toxic" to one person may not be "toxic" to another.

Good luck finding what works for you.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:00 AM   #7
(male)

jonas123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg View Post
I said omega-3 CAN be limited not that they ARE limited. Just as they CAN and generally ARE limited in the SAD. And there is question about how much of the omega-3s in flax are assimilated by the body.

What is "toxic" to one person may not be "toxic" to another.

Good luck finding what works for you.
There is also question about whether omega-3's are actually needed by the body. Look at it this way: whatever is more toxic will harm the body even more, and whatever is less toxic will harm the body less. Everything is toxic to a degree. Certain emotions can be toxic. The less toxic a person is, the more successful that person is. I am not talking about being rich or anything; you do not need to be rich at all to be successful.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
(male)

Aguy44 HB User

There is no connection whatsoever bewteen diet and psychiatric problems. If there were, we could have cured all psychotic problems with a specially designed multivitamin.

Closed Thread