It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
(male)

jayjey HB User
Am I shedding sodium in cardio workout

Hi,
When I do the cardio workout, I sweat reasonably and then to some extent when resistance training. If I consume 125% sodium of the daily limit and sweat, am I getting to the required balance of daily sodium.

Let us put it this way ? Do you lose sodium when you sweat easing the work of your kidneys. It is true that the overall consumption has to be reduced.

Tks....

Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Am I shedding sodium in cardio workout

Yes, when you sweat, you sweat out various salts (not just sodium salts). This is why sports drinks contain various electrolytes to replenish them. However, they are really only necessary in long duration or highly competitive workouts and are overmarketed to recreational athletes.

Since most people in rich countries get far more than the needed amount of sodium through normal dietary intake, sodium is rarely a problem in such countries.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
(male)

jayjey HB User

Good, as long as I shed sodium its cool. As my goal is 60% weight loss (Fat) and 40% muscle build, I really want to be shedding some sodium. While I do not intentionally consume lots of sodium, what ever I consume (one or other way it gets little extra you know given that I eat reasonable, not a very picky food style), I like to shed some.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-17-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 02-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
(male)

titan38 HB User

Sweating does not 'ease' the work of your kidneys. Your kidneys function to excrete waste products. When you sweat, you lose 'essential' electrolytes that need to be replenished. They are not considered 'waste' products.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-17-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread