It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
(male)

mark121212 HB User
Exclamation where can i find flaxseed in the grocery.

i looked in the spice aisle and the vitamin aisle . no luck.
also which stores have it

Old 02-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User
Re: where can i find flaxseed in the grocery.

Ask one of the grocers at your store. I often see flax seeds on the endcap of the aisle, usually near the health products.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
(male)

CFIDS HB User

flax is a dangerous substance...it can cause prostate cancer in men, and goes rancid very easily since it contain almost no natural anti-oxidants of its own. Then you'd be eating free radicals and do more harm than good.

Use Carlson Elite or Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega brand fish oils.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-17-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 02-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Most regular grocery stores in my area carry ground flaxseed in the "flour or baking" aisle. But at Trader Joe's, I find it by the oatmeal...and it's the cheapest there, too (about $2.49 a bag). I buy the Bob's Red Mill brand. You should store flaxseed in the freezer or fridge to keep it from going rancid. I add it to my yogurt every day...I love it.

Last edited by nscrbug; 02-19-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
(male)

CFIDS HB User

I think a Chia product is better for you...it has the benefits of the Omega-3'sbut also has ample anti-oxidents...there is one called Mila out there <edited>

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-20-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 02-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
(female)

ACurious1 HB User

I find flax seed in the "natural foods" area of my grocery, or next to the grains.

I have never bought its oil, I make it at home, store it in the fridge and toss it after 10 days if I haven't used it up yet. This because it is a fine oil and therefore, yes, expires quickly.

Be sure that you eat only freshly freshly ground seed, and never buy it ground!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACurious1 View Post
I find flax seed in the "natural foods" area of my grocery, or next to the grains.

I have never bought its oil, I make it at home, store it in the fridge and toss it after 10 days if I haven't used it up yet. This because it is a fine oil and therefore, yes, expires quickly.

Be sure that you eat only freshly freshly ground seed, and never buy it ground!
Can you explain why we should not buy ground flaxseed? I've been buying ground flax for years and have never had a problem with it.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
(male)

CFIDS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
Can you explain why we should not buy ground flaxseed? I've been buying ground flax for years and have never had a problem with it.
let me go out on a limb and reiterate the fact that flax has none or not enough natural anti-oxidants so once the shell is pierced, the oil goes rancid fast...then if you consume it, you do more harm than good by eating free radicals...whereas if it is fresh ground and then consumed immediately, maybe it is less likely to happen. Again, I steer clear of the stuff due to the connection with prostate cancer in men... but this is of course antoher good reason to do so in my humble opinion.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIDS View Post
let me go out on a limb and reiterate the fact that flax has none or not enough natural anti-oxidants so once the shell is pierced, the oil goes rancid fast...then if you consume it, you do more harm than good by eating free radicals...whereas if it is fresh ground and then consumed immediately, maybe it is less likely to happen. Again, I steer clear of the stuff due to the connection with prostate cancer in men... but this is of course antoher good reason to do so in my humble opinion.
I appreciate your repeated "warnings" about flaxseed, but....

1. I am NOT a man, and therefore do not have a prostate to worry about.

2. I store my ground flaxseed in the freezer in a sealed package, so the chance of it going rancid are rather slim.

3. I would like to see some "science" behind your statements. Do you have any links to studies or research that back up your claims about flaxseed? Because frankly, yours are the first negative comments I have seen on flaxseed...and I am not likely to jump on the anti-flaxseed bandwagon just because 1 guy on an internet forum says it's bad stuff.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
(female)

happyca HB User

I agree that Trader Joes is a good place to buy flax seeds. Bob's Red Mill is the brand. This is already ground and ready to go. Equally good is Golden Flax that can be purchased at Costco's. It has a nuttier flavor and I use it in my yogurt. It's almost like having graham crackers and yogurt!

Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
(male)

CFIDS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
I appreciate your repeated "warnings" about flaxseed, but....

1. I am NOT a man, and therefore do not have a prostate to worry about.

2. I store my ground flaxseed in the freezer in a sealed package, so the chance of it going rancid are rather slim.

3. I would like to see some "science" behind your statements. Do you have any links to studies or research that back up your claims about flaxseed? Because frankly, yours are the first negative comments I have seen on flaxseed...and I am not likely to jump on the anti-flaxseed bandwagon just because 1 guy on an internet forum says it's bad stuff.
Well unfortunately we are unable to post links on this forum per the rules...However, I did a quick search and was easily able to find an article about "stabilizing" flax seen with capsicum anti-oxidants since it goes rancid easily. Also, there are some people (women & men) who's body lacks the ability to properly break down flax oils into health omega's and instead it either gets broken down into something you can't use or something less beneficial...I heard that on an AM radio show I listen to about health & fitness. Supposedly, the better alternative is Chia seeds (in the right mix of breeds) because they have higher anti-oxidants than many berries, and more omega3's than fish oil...I am just making you aware of the concerns...

Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #12
(female)

ACurious1 HB User

Freezing food may slow oxidation, but it doesn't revert it. The pre-ground seed is oxidized before it hits the supermarket shelf. Pre-ground seed may be sold, and it may be a convenience for you, but it is truly not healthful, particularly for this food. Any food is better purchased whole, to be true.

Or, medicine can be sold to you in convenient capsules and tabs, too, in any event.

Last edited by ACurious1; 02-25-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Closed Thread