It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
(male)

mattsevens32 HB User
Smile Breakfast

Ok I work retail and I have struggled with this for years. I typically have some sugar filled cereal or hit McDonald's on the way in to work. I am now overweight and am so not a morning person. One of my biggest opportunities I think is what I eat for breakfast.

So what is a proper healthy breakfast in 10-15 min or less??? By the way I HATE OATMEAL...

Old 03-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Breakfast

mattsevens32,

You want breakfast to be 10-15 min or less. When you go to McDonald's, how long does that take? I know it's fast food but how fast is it? I'm just curious.

I'm not a fan of most boxed (processed) cereals but you could at least improve by finding one that has no sugar or sodium added. One whole grain cereal that only has BHT added is shredded wheat. I don't think it's the best possible breakfast but it would be an improvement over your usual "sugar filled cereal."

Then there's wheat germ. It has no added sugar or sodium. And I don't think it has any preservative in it.

There's steel-cut oats and oat groats. They're different than oatmeal. By comparison, oatmeal is limy. If you soak one serving overnight, you can cook it in a few minutes. Or, you can bring the oats to a boil, turn the burner off, go shave and get dressed, and presto! It will be ready when you're ready.

Or, the oats that I mentioned can be cooked in the evening and put in the refrigerator. In the morning you just pop it in the microwave and heat it up. The few times that I had regular oatmeal cold , I liked it. It's not slimy when it's cold.

Once you decide which type of cereal you want, you need to round out the meal by adding about one or two teaspoons of chopped nuts and one serving (1/2 cup) of cut fresh fruit.

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-04-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Word change

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

mattsevens32,

A quicky breakfast might be a tablespoon or two of peanut butter on a celery stalk. The fats, protein and fiber would fill you up until lunch time, and it's portion controlled. And it's fast.

--Rheanna

Old 03-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Lots of possibilities - a poached egg and a slice of whole grain toast...or a slice of whole grain toast with a thin layer of natural peanut butter spread on it and topped with banana slices and a sprinkle of cinnamon...or even a bowl of Cheerios (which is low in sugar) with some fresh fruit on top. I happen to love oatmeal, so that is my first choice for breakfast. But I agree with the suggestion of steel cut oats...they're different than regular oatmeal so you might be able to tolerate it better.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Mattsevens32,

In case you decide to go with the hot cereal idea, here are a few extra suggestions:

* 100% whole grain Bulgur wheat

* Organic Whole Millet (often eaten like rice)

* Whole grain hull-less Barley

* Whole grain Spelt Berries

I think all cereals taste plain (uninteresting) unless you add something to make them better. I mentioned fruit and nuts but here's one more item: You can buy "Baker's" all natural 100% cacao, unsweetened baking chocolate squares. All it would take is 1/2 of one square melted into your hot cereal. In addition to the fruit and nuts, this would give you some chocolate flavor. (In the supermarket it will usually be located near baking supplies and not in the candy section.)

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-06-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: word change

Closed Thread