It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
(male)

MyriadMelody HB User
Post Tap Water Vs. Purified Water

Hello all, I come bearing a question.

My brother is a very smart man and told me that he had recently read an article that argued 'tap water is healthier'. He also had some of his own arguments for drinking tap water, such as the minerals that are found in it.

I researched online and could only really find support for purified water. Water is all I drink and I drink a lot of it so I want to make sure I'm drinking the right 'brand'. Should I just switch off between the two? I was thinking of drinking a glass of purified water for each glass of tap water.

Thanks for the input!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Tap Water Vs. Purified Water

MyriadMelody,

I'm sure your brother is indeed a very smart man.

I might point out that tap water is provided by local municipalities. So, the quality can vary greatly from town to town.

I lived for several years in one town where they performed lots of tests to verify that the water was as pure as they could make it, short of distilling it. Every year we got a print-out of all the things that they had tested the water for. It tasted great.

My mother lives in a community where for many years they didn't bother to tell anyone how pure the water was. It tasted like sulphur. It was ghastly. And brown. Yuccch. (They've since improved the water!)

Bottled water often is simply local water from the tap. Really. It often isn't anything special.

My suggestion is to see if you can find out how clean your local water is, and, if it seems to be reasonably pure, then continue to enjoy it.

As for purified water, I use a Brita filter for making my tea, as the minerals in the tap water make the tea taste less than pleasant. Otherwise I drink my local water straight from the tap.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I definitely agree about this depending on the area you live in and the water in that location. I know that where I live, the water can have visible specks in it. This grosses me out when I see little things floating around! Yuck! I too use a filter for my tap at home and I also like to buy bottles occasionally. When I visit family in another state, I noticed that their ice cubes were perfectly clear, unlike the ones here where I live, which are clear around the edges and more white in the middle. The water where my family is tastes very good from the tap and looks so fresh. I definitely drink the tap there!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

MyriadMelody,

I get a yearly water report on my tap water and all of the impurities are within acceptable limits. So I drink it. Life is full of impurities from the air we breathe to the food we eat. Life is naturally toxic to a certain extent but our bodies (liver) filter most of it out.

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-06-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: word change

Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
(male)

SS11 HB User

I agree, tap water is better than bottled water. It is better for the environment and better for your body. The companies want you to buy the bottled water. I just get my water out of the tap, tastes just as good as the bottled stuff.

Closed Thread