It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Outer leaves and stalk on Cauliflower

Once before I asked about broccoli and now it's cauliflower. Lately I have started eating the stalk but still discard the outer leaves. Well, sometimes they look like they might be good to eat and sometimes not. What do you do with the outer leaves? Do you eat them?

Within the last several months I have become hooked on eating raw cauliflower and I eat some almost every day. But I doubt I would ever eat the leaves or stalk raw. What would you suggest?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Outer leaves and stalk on Cauliflower

JohnR41,

I love your adventurous culinary spirit!

I find the tender small cauliflower leaves to be quite edible, as long as they are very fresh. The outer leaves I would put into a soup or stir fry or something, since the central thingy on the leaf (I'm sure there is a culinary name for that!) can be a bit tough.

I haven't gotten brave enough to eat the stalk raw, as I imagine it to be a bit stringy. But here I am stuck in my imagination, and you are actually exploring the real world possibilities.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Thanks, rheanna, I'm going to try eating some of the smaller leaves as soon as I purchase my next cauliflower. I suppose I'll put them in a soup.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

I usually chop up the smaller, inner leaves that are light green. It is a member of the cabbage family, so I am sure the outer ones are fine.

A while back I discovered one of my favorite greens is broccoli leaves. I LOVE farmer's market season when I can get lots of them!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks, auntjudyg, I'll go for the outer leaves too. My confidence is going up with these replies I'm getting. From now on I'll get my money's worth out of a cauliflower instead of filling up the garbage pail.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
(male)

Fealess Fosdick HB User

I have been juicing outer cauliflower leaves and stalks and cabbage stalks and broccoli stalks in my vegetable juice concoction. They are quite juicy. They taste strong (a bit hot and bity, especially the cauliflower) but I do this as I believe it is very good for health and has strong anti-cancer properties.

Can anyone confirm its health properties? I would hate to be be wrong on this and be making wrong assumptions!

Old 03-22-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi some people eat the outer leaves of cauliflower according to what I have read and even think they are healthy. I have read reports on the outer leaves of some things such as cabbage and some people think they may have more pesticide and the outer leaves on that should be taken off. I suppose if one has the right vege wash it might or might not be useful or healthy I am a bit divided in opinion on the health aspect of some washes although admittedly I have used them and feel they are needed for pesticide on most produce since the government advises it. If one has his own garden with organic methods or buys organic food it is probably filled with more vitamins in the outer leaves of cabbage but it might be a little tougher as far as texture goes.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
(male)

Fealess Fosdick HB User

Thank you very much

Old 03-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Cauliflower update:

I started this thread a little over a year ago and things have changed since then. At the beginning of this year I started, "Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type". And guess what. I'm blood type O and cauliflower is one of the foods I am to avoid. This regimen is largely based on how lectins (contained in various foods) react with one's blood type. Under a microscope, they look to see if there is any clumping of blood when various lectins are added. Evidently, there is clumping when lectins from cauliflower get added to type O blood. This means that cauliflower lectins are seen as a foreign invader to type O people. I also can't eat cabage, brussels sprouts etc.. But there are other things I can eat like broccoli and many other healthy food items.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
(male)

Fealess Fosdick HB User

JohnR41,

Your reply is very interesting to me. I think my blood type is O - not certain but I think so. I have been advised that cauliflower and cabbage are particularly beneficial in prevention of prostate cancer and having had surgery for prostate cancer I have been having large quantities to help my body keep healthy and cancer free.

However, some recent blood tests showed 'clumping' which was explained as being due to my blood being taken from my vein too slowly. One test also showed that some blood cells were oversized - I did not really follow what the Dr. said about this except that it was not of any real concern but it was of enough concern for him to order some more blood tests!

I will back-off the cauliflower stalks and mention what you say to my nutritionist Dr.

Many thanks,

Last edited by Fealess Fosdick; 03-23-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Cauliflower update:

Hi I think a wide variety and balance of foods might be good. I would only avoid something if one seems to have an allergy or symptoms with a particular food.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi I think a wide variety and balance of foods might be good. I would only avoid something if one seems to have an allergy or symptoms with a particular food.
I think that's good advice for someone who has an immediate reaction (or a reaction within a few days or weeks) to a specfic food. For example, some people are alergic to peanuts and will often know immediately. I'm allergic to spinach. If I eat too much, I will get itchy on one side of my face. I will usually notice it the next day. I can't take fish oil or caffeine (but it takes a few days to a week to notice a reaction). Can't drink tea/coffee or eat watermelon because those things will make me go to the bathroom too often. All of these things I realized without reading, "Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type". It sometimes takes a little thoughtfulness but it can be figured out.

However, there may be times when someone has a problem and suspects it may be related to food but can't figure it out. For example, I have overactive bladder which was diagnosed by my doctor. Things like Tea, coffee or watermelon can make it worse. That was relatively easy for me to figure out. But how can I cure it completely? That's the question.

When I can't figure it out by myself and my doctor doesn't have any natural remedy, I don't mind giving the blood type diet a try. I've always been very flexible when it comes to diet. So what have I got to lose? I still eat a LARGE variety of healthy fruits and vegetables based on my blood type. I even have a pretty good choice of grains, meats, fish and oils.
So I have a lot of variety in my diet and I don't feel like I'm suffering any deprivation.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Hi and you feel better on it?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi and you feel better on it?
I have noticed some improvement. So far it's not as much as I had hoped for but I feel as though I am still making adjustments. (And still trying to adjust to the proper way of combining foods.) So I plan to keep trying for at least a year. In some instances the body may need some time to make repairs. This may or may not be the case with overactive bladder. But I intend to give it plenty of time.

I forgot to mention something important about "blood clumping". This has a lot to do with the functioning of one's immune system. As I mentioned before, certain food lectins may cause your blood to clump. This means your immune system (blood) has identified these lectins as foreign invaders.

So what's the harm? I ate a lot of cauliflower, enjoyed it, and I never had any bad symptoms that I know of. The theory goes like this: By eating the "wrong" foods (for your blood type) you put stress on your immune system and this could most likely cause (internal) inflammation. And inflammation is not always noticed, at least not at first. A person could have inflammation for years or decades before having a heart attack, stroke, cancer or Alzheimer's, to name a few.

Also, as we get older our immune systems get weaker and weaker. So what happens if our weakend immune system is busy attacking lectins? It will be less efficient in attacking stray cancer cells, which everyone has from time to time. This might explain why cancer is at an epidemic level among older people.

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-27-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added a few words for clairification

Closed Thread