It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
(male)

LeisurePatient HB User
What sort of vitamins do I need? I eat too much meat and rice

Hello, I want some help deciding what sort of vitamins I should eat. I'm planning on buying either a nice pack of multivitamins (if they fit your specifications), or like single bottles, my diet sucks. I mean like can someone tell me like if I need n amount of Vitamin C or I should not exceed n amount of caffeine per day?

Here is some basic info about me:
- Age 15
- Weight: 138lb min, 146lb max
- Don't get any exercise except a 20 min walk everyday
- Sleep at 12am and wake up at 6:30am

Here is what I eat every day (excluding weekends):
6:50 - Coffee
7:50 - Breakfast - (A serving of chicken/ground beef, and a bowl of rice) OR (a croissant with cream cheese) OR (cookies) OR (I skip breakfast, very rarely) AND some juice... Depends on what my parents purchase when they go grocery shopping
11:10 - A chocolate or granola bar - and coffee sometimes
15:00 - Lunch - A serving of chicken/ground beef, and a bowl of rice, plus a glass of a carbonated drink
17:00 - Coffee
19:00 - Some chips or pretzels
20:00 - Dinner - A serving of chicken/ground beef, and a bowl of rice
22:00 - Black Coffee

Ok, I know I'm not getting enough fruits/vegetables - I HATE them just like most kids do >.< In the summer I throw a peach or some strawberries in there, or a pint of blueberries but that's not enough either. I also might be drinking too much coffee and eating too much meat. I've tried changing my diet but it's pretty hard.

Can anyone help me in choosing a multivitamin or an array of vitamins? Just list vitamins and their quantities (per day) - include the ones that you think are necessary and point out the ones that I must not have too much of (like protein?) Like put it in this format if you're smart or lazy or want to LOL (*just a sample*):
Vitamin A => 200mg
Arsenic < 1 mg
Vitamin C > 500mg and <1600mg
Cyanide < 10 ng
Protein > 50 mg but < 500mg

Can you please also tell me what would happen to my body if I were to continue this diet till 22?

Last edited by LeisurePatient; 03-10-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: What sort of vitamins do I need? I eat too much meat and rice

You probably don't want to read this, but adding vegetables and whole fruits will be the best way to improve your diet.

Also, choose brown, red, or black (whole grain) rice over white rice, and vary the carbs with other whole grains and/or beans. Varying the meat with fish and invertebrates will help also.

Cut back on carbonated drinks and drinks which are mainly sugar.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
(male)

LeisurePatient HB User

Quote:
You probably don't want to read this, but adding vegetables and whole fruits will be the best way to improve your diet.
Would a potato, a glass of lemonade (with 1/4 lemon in it), an orange and a banana suffice? Plus two kiwis when they're "available"?
Quote:
vary the carbs with other whole grains and/or beans.
A whole grain bun twice-thrice a week, replacing that bowl of rice - and 1/4 bowl of chicpeas twice a week, is that good?
Quote:
Varying the meat with fish and invertebrates will help also.
I hate almost all kinds of seafood except some types of fish when they're cooked nicely (I'm spoiled LOL) Is a filet or two of fish good (on the weekends)?

I've tried brown and red rice, but I really do love white rice. And yes, I'll try to not drink that glass of a carbonated drink with lunch 3/5 days.

Just wondering, why is it better to get my vitamins and/or minerals from fruits/vegetables instead of just eating pills of vitamins? I know that when I get them from fruits or vegetables they get "absorbed" into my body more quickly, but does that really make a difference for a fat, lazy noob who is trying to extend his life?

Last edited by LeisurePatient; 03-11-2010 at 04:46 AM.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisurePatient View Post
Would a potato, a glass of lemonade (with 1/4 lemon in it), an orange and a banana suffice? Plus two kiwis when they're "available"?
The whole fruit would be an improvement. Lemonade is mostly sugar, so it is not so good. Potatoes are mostly starch and not particularly high in nutrient density. Eat the skin for more nutrients, and cook them in ways other than deep frying. Choose sweet potatoes over regular potatoes at least some of the time.

But green leafy vegetables and yellow/orange/red vegetables are the nutritional powerhouses compared to other vegetables.

Quote:
A whole grain bun twice-thrice a week, replacing that bowl of rice - and 1/4 bowl of chicpeas twice a week, is that good?

I hate almost all kinds of seafood except some types of fish when they're cooked nicely (I'm spoiled LOL) Is a filet or two of fish good (on the weekends)?
Yes, those would be improvements, if the fish is not breaded and fried.

Quote:
Just wondering, why is it better to get my vitamins and/or minerals from fruits/vegetables instead of just eating pills of vitamins? I know that when I get them from fruits or vegetables they get "absorbed" into my body more quickly, but does that really make a difference
Vegetables and whole fruits also contain fiber and other things that, while not strictly essential, may improve health. Studies have found that people with high vegetable consumption are healthier; other studies have shown that those taking multivitamins "just in case" are no healthier than those who do not (although obviously people with known deficiencies in a specific vitamin should supplement that particular vitamin if unable to get enough from food).

Quote:
for a fat, lazy noob who is trying to extend his life?
Also, try not to be fat and lazy, as high body fat (obesity) and lack of exercise increase the risk of conditions that lead to a shorter and less healthy life.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Some say that good old One-A-Day or Centrum are just as good as anything. Some say a "natural" vitamin is better - the kind you would get at the health food store or Whole Foods.

Getting vitamins from real food is always better than vitamin pills. With a few changes your diet would not be half bad.

First, is the rice brown rice? Hopefully, it is. How about substituting canned legumes sometimes . . . or potato/sweet potato? Variety is a good thing.

There are usually a couple of veggies or fruits that even kids like. But even many adults have trouble getting as much as they should. And adding more veggies and fruits is the biggest key to improving your diet, IMHO. When I was younger, stews and soups made even some I did not like more appealing. Think about ways you might fit more in. Every little bit helps.

Closed Thread