It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Just-A-Boy HB User
Question Is Farina/Cream of Wheat healthy breakfast?

My grandmother loved eating cream of wheat (farina), and it was very popular during the Soviet Union days, especially during the Second World War and thereafter. She told me it was high in iron and good for the body.

I'm kind of curious if it is healthy choice of breakfast. I bought some farina in bulk at a health store, and prepared it - and surprisingly loved it!

Unfortunately, there isn't much information on cream of wheat online. Seems to be unpopular here in United States.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Is Farina/Cream of Wheat healthy breakfast?

Just-A-Boy,

My mother made it for me a few times when I was a kid. Then I think we melted a pat of butter over the top of it and of course it tasted good. When I grew up, I never bought any because I favored whole grains. I don't think cream of wheat is a whole grain.

Look on the packaging and see if it says whole grain. If it doesn't, then it's processed and likely is not considered healthy.

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-15-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: removed quote & spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Cream of Wheat is a brand name, and it and information on it should be readily available in the US.

There is more than one version of Cream of Wheat brand farina. The original style is not whole grain, but there is also a whole grain version now.

As far as iron fortification goes, iron deficiency is mainly a concern for women of childbearing age. Men in rich countries may be more likely to get too much iron than not enough.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

Back in the old days, we would put butter, milk AND sugar in the cream of wheat and/or oatmeal. Now I know better.

Personally I would go with Oats/oat bran. Not the instant if the hot cereal is what you are after. If you have digestion probs with what there is rice cereals that taste good too!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
(female)

model1979 HB User

not really. there is no fiber in this and it contains a high amount of carbs. I would suggest you try 6-grain hot ceral or stone oats. add a fat (nutbutter) to this. you can never go wrong with nuts and oats!

Closed Thread