It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 02:02 AM   #1
(female)

susyyy HB User
Oatmeal

When I first tried it, which I think was 2 months ago, I hated it. A LOT.

Now, I just cannot move on if I dont have an oatmeal for breakfast!!

Who likes oatmeal? how do you cook it?
Mine is like this:

1/3 cup quick oats
1 cup skimmed milk
cinnamon, nutmeg, Stevia
Mix on heat until done

Top with few pecans and blueberries.

YUM!

Old 03-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Oatmeal

susyyy,

I started on old fashioned oats, then went to steel cut oats and finally oat groats. But now I'm back to steel-cut oats. I like all kinds of oats.

I measure 1/4 cup of steel-cut oats to cook in about 1/3 cup of water. I bring it to a boil in a 1 quart pan and set the timer for 5 minutes. Then let it simmer on low until the time is up. When the timer goes off I turn the burner off and let it sit while I fix a bowl of fruit, nuts, etc..

Cereal bowl stuff: 1 prune (cut up ), 1 apricot (cut up), 1/2 small banana (cut up), 1/4 cup of 100% pumpkin, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, unsalted almonds and other nuts (just a few). About every other day I'll melt a small piece of Baker's chocolate in the oatmeal.

That's it. If I happen to have grapes or something else I'll change the fruit. Sometimes I'll put a couple of frozen strawberries (cut up) instead of the blueberries.

No sugar or artificial sweetener and I really like it.

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-30-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
More about oatmeal

susyyy,

Some things I forgot to mention:

I also use cinnamon. And when I said 1/2 of a small banana, I mean really small. If it's a medium size bannana I might use 1/3. Large bannana 1/4.

Also, some forms of oatmeal are more processed than others. Quick oats are generally the most processed. Old fashioned oats are a little less processed. Steel-cut oats are less processed than old fashioned oats. And oat groats are the least processed.

Why does it matter? It matters if you are trying to lose weight or maintain your weight. Or if you are trying to control your blood sugar. Quick oats and slower cooking old fashioned oats are steamed and put through steel rollers. So the oats become "oat flakes". An oat flake has a greater surface area and therefore is digested faster, goes through your system faster, and has a greater impact on raising your blood sugar.

But steel-cut oats and oat groats may not be any better if you overcook them. The more you overcook them the faster they will raise your blood sugar and the faster they will be digested.

On the steel-cut oats, which look like little nuggets, I believe the bag suggests cooking for 20 minutes or until tender. As I said, I simmer for 5 minutes then turn off the burner and let it sit until I get everything else ready.
I suppose one could simmer for 4 or 5 minutes and then let it sit. Maybe I'll give that a try. At any rate it should be just a little chewy. That would be ideal.

Most suppermarkets carry steel-cut oats but I actually get a better deal at my local health food store. Check around if price is a concern.

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-31-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: word change & spelling

Old 03-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
(female)

Janaly HB User

Hello Susyyy,

I love oatmeal too! Actually I also like your recipe and make it that
way. Lately though I chop up small chunks of apple, also add brown
sugar...just a tad. Blueberries though are my favorite! Pecans are
too! Gosh a twin oatmeal lover....how about that!

funny how some things can grow on you over time isn't it. Start out
hating it and then loving it.

Wished I could manage that with brussel sprouts.

Have a nice day,

Janaly

p.s. now I will go read the other posts on this thread. I love to talk
recipes and foods.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-31-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 04-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
(female)

StickyMedia HB User

oatmeal's are good for our health. since it is rich in fiber, it can lower blood cholesterol. oatmeal can also create some yummy variety of dishes such as oatmeal cookies. i love oatmeal!

Old 04-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
(female)

camidavis09 HB User

This sounds yummy.

Closed Thread