It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
(male)

BPguy HB User
High Cholesterol!!!

I just got the results of some bloodwork back and my cholesterol is high, bad cholesterol is high, and good cholesterol is low. Not happy. Willing to make any changes to diet. I was vegetarian once. Is that the best way to go? Do I need to follow some strict diet? My shink that ordered the test said just avoid fried food and exercise. I don't eat fried food. I thought I ate basically healthy. Any tips for me?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
(female)

model1979 HB User
Re: High Cholesterol!!!

yes! try taking fish oil supp...i have heard these help. i also have high LDL (btw i very much in shape and eat very very well...its genetic). what works for me is eating good fats. EVOO, nuts (make sure they are roasted or raw only), natural nut butters. stay away from animal fats and of course, get ur cardio in.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-01-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Exercise to raise the (good) HDL, choose fats carefully (avoid trans-fats from hydrogenated oils and saturated fats; consume unsaturated fats) to lower the (bad) LDL.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I agree with both previous posters. I had shockingly high cholesterol (trigs so high at one point, they were off the charts and unable to be calculated).

I don't know that you necessarily need to go vegetarian, but I know I turned my lipids completely around and have kept them on track for years now by limiting saturated fat, red meat and fatty cuts of poultry/pork (bacon, dark meat and skin on chicken and turkey). I eat lots of fish, chicken breast, pork tenderloin or lean chops. I might treat myself to red meat once every few months.

Prepare foods with fresh ingredients whenever you can.

Incorporate a glass of wine into your diet if you are able.

Beans are great, nuts, fresh fruits, greens/leafy veggies.

High cholesterol is what initially brought me to this site, and someone over on the High Cholesterol boards suggested two sources for recipes/meal planning: The Omega Plan and the Mediterranean Diet. Lots of friendly fats, whole grains, legumes, fish, lean poultry and a glass or two of wine a day.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
(female)

model1979 HB User

StenoLady1;

great advice! its funny....my tryes were sooo low since i workout daily and eat tons of healthy fats....they read at sixty two!

hope ur doing much better now

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-02-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread