It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
(male)

TommyJ HB User
Work is damaging my diet... Help!

Hey guys,
This is my first post to the forum so I apologise if I have posted in the wrong section.

I'll start by briefly saying a bit about myself, I am 18 years old I'm 6.2 ft and borderline underweight I have been a vegetarian since birth but a few months back I got turned (and coincidentally developed a case of psoriasis) I have recently started a demanding job that has disturbed my diet a lot so I was wondering if I could get some advice.

As I said my diet has gone downhill ever since I have started full time work and I have noticed a big difference both physically and mentally, I have decided to start drinking homemade smoothies maybe 2-3 times a day especially in the morning because I normally would just skip breakfast altogether due to loss of appetite.

So what I would like to know is what to put in my smoothie all I'd like is something to make me feel better emotionally and physically, I'd like something to boost my energy levels and just generally keep me fairly healthy.

I don't mind if it tastes bad and would also appreciate any advice on pill based vitamins.

Any Help Will be very helpful

Many Thanks

Tom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Work Damaging Diet ...Help!

What constraints has work placed on your diet that makes it hard to eat good food?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
(male)

TommyJ HB User
Re: Work is damaging my diet... Help!

I find my self working through my lunch nearly everyday and since i don't drive its hard to get healthy foods by the time i get home i would rather pick something quick than make a healthy meal so im hoping these smoothies will help until work quiets down.

Any advice to what to put in it?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

TommyJ,

I don't think smoothies are the answer. Perhaps in a pinch once or twice. Why don't you stop working through your lunch? What kind of job requires you to work through your lunch? If you get sick you might not be able to go to work at all. You need to make time to eat healthy meals or you might end up with no health and no job.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
(male)

TommyJ HB User

Yeah I understand that totally and i know that i wont be working through my lunch ect in the near future but i would like these smoothies to atleast give me a boost i think its a good idea given my circumstance is there no one that can help?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

For the smoothies...how about making one with some almond milk, some fruit (assorted berries, banana), and a dab of natural peanut butter or some nuts for protein, and a few ice cubes. If you wanted more protein, you could probably add a scoop of a vegan protein powder.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I make smoothies/protein shakes most days for breakfast. I just really, really enjoy them! To make mine, I use a scoop of whey protein powder (vanilla or strawberry flavored usually, but make sure to get one that isn't high in sugar. I also go for about 25 grams of protein per serving), at least one full cup of mixed berries, a cup of skim milk, and one packet of crystal light energy powder. It's delicious and gives me a good energy boost in the morning. It's also a good sized portion for breakfast since it makes a pretty big smoothie (fills up a tall glass completely). I like to use frozen berries to make the smoothie cold and thicker. Of course there are many ways you can make them... some people don't eat any artificial sweeteners at all, so you wouldn't want to use a crystal light packet. I personally find that it tastes good without them too! If you want something more snack-sized that isn't a full meal, try skipping the protein powder. There are so many options. I also like using vanilla protein powder, milk, one banana, and a scoop of natural peanut butter to make a smoothie. It's very good!

Definitely don't let work hurt your health. I completely understand how work can make eating right difficult, but that isn't fair to your body. I try to pack foods ahead of time for me to take to work. I don't really care to go out for lunch because most of the options around here aren't healthy, and some days there isn't time for a lunch break. I like to take organic salad with me to work and keep it in the fridge here. I also pack apples and other fruits quite often. Then I just add in some chicken or turkey to my salad and I have a good lunch. Planning the night before makes it SO much easier!

Closed Thread