It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Question Question about vinegar

I think there's been some information about vinegar helping to keep blood sugar from spiking. Is that correct? And some have even said that they use a lot of it for that reason, and perhaps for weightloss.

Here's what I wonder: I use vinegar as a weed killer. I fill up a spray bottle with vinegar and give a light spray to weeds in places where they are difficult to pull. By the next day, most weeds are usually dead.

My question: If vinegar can kill plant cells, is it safe to eat? What does it do to the cells of our stomach lining?

If it was sold in your local garden department as a "weed killer", would you spray it on your salad too?

I stopped using vinegar several months ago because I can't see putting acid in my stomach, even though it's supposed to be a safe amount. At best I think it's just another processed "food".

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-03-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: punctuation

Old 05-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: Question about vinegar

Carbonated beverages and orange juice have lower pH values than vinegar and stomach acid is lower than any of them. A small amount of vinegar isn't going to make any difference to the acidity of your stomach.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

We have bacteria in our stomachs that help with digestion. What does it take to kill off that bacteria? Our own stomach acid isn't supposed to kill that bacteria but I wonder if vinegar will. I wonder if that is the reason why it keeps our blood sugar from spiking. Vinegar is supposed to slow down digestion and thereby keep our blood sugar from spiking. Is digestion slowed down because some of the helpful bacteria is killed off?

It probably seems like a silly question but what am I to think if I don't know how or why vinegar slows down digestion.

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-04-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

We don't have bacteria in our stomachs to digest food. The bacteria are in the large intestine. Food doesn't even stay in the stomach for very long. Most digestion and absorption occurs in the small intestine.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

JohnR41 - in regards vinegar - you need to be using Raw Apple Cider Vinegar - that has not been distilled - it needs to be fermented to release the healing enzymes and life giving nutrients. It needs to have the 'mother' in it - or you are getting the distilled kind, which is not beneficial for human needs. Many people mistakenly purchase the cheapest vinegar they find - can't tolerate the taste or the smell and give up on the benefits saught of vinegar. Bragg's is a very good brand to use, they have written several booklets on the uses of raw apple cider vinegar and if you ever get a really good taste of this stuff, you will be able to tell the difference. I have used white distilled vinegar for years, for household cleaning and in my laundry - wash. I always buy the largest cheapest one I can find for those uses. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is a bit more expensive, yet you do not have to use much. Used in homemade salad dressings - it is fantastic! I wouldn't waste this as a herbicide in the yard - although there have been numerous uses associated with this in regards to garden pests - and not the insect kind. Some things Raw Apple Cider Vinegar helps with are:
Potassium – helps to prevent brittle teeth, hair loss and runny noses.
Pectin – helps to regulate blood pressure and reduce bad cholesterol.
Malic Acid – gives ACV the properties of being anti-viral, anti-bacterial & anti-fungal.
Calcium – helps create strong bones and teeth.
Ash – gives ACV its alkaline property which aids your body in maintaining proper pH levels for a healthy alkaline state.
Acetic Acid – It appears that this acid slows the digestion of starch which can help to lower the rise in glucose that commonly occurs after meals.
More of the things Raw Apple Cider Vinegar may assist with are:
•May help with joint pain and stiffness
•Been used for centuries as a natural remedy for heartburn
•Improves bowel irregularity and constipation.
•Help breakdown fats, so your body can use them instead of store them.
•Acts as a natural appetitie suppressant
•May help speed up your metabolism
•May help lower blood glucose levels
•Helps restore alkaline acid balance
•Home remedy for dandruff and acne, taken externally
I personally have gotten off of omneprazole for GERD and am using Raw Apple Cider Vinegar two times daily in a tall glass of juice. It makes the juice tart - but I feel so much better, have a noticed increase in energy and find that it seems to stabilize my moods. I am post menopausal - something you don't have an issue with I suppose. As well as about 4 months out from a gall bladder surgery brought on by an episode of severe acute pancreatitis. I love the stuff! It is wonderful.
Rose

Old 05-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks everyone for the information.

As far as bacteria goes, I should have said GI tract. That would have covered everything. :-)

Rose4me, it seems that I don't really need vinegar because I pretty much have everything covered that you mentioned. For example: 1) potassium 2)calcium 3) regularity etc..

I eat a plant based diet with lots of legumes and green vegetables that are high in potassium, calcium and fiber (for regularity). And I think my alkaline-acid balance is good because of my plant based diet (I hardly eat any animal protein). And I have good blood pressure etc..

The reason I first got turned off of vinegar is because of a problem with frequent urination. I was using Balsamic Vinegar and suspected that it might be implicated. Of course I suspected some other things as well, like spices, certain fruits etc.. So I can't say it was all due to vinegar. It might have been a combination of things working together.

From your list I tryed to figure out what might have contributed to frequent urination. One item was "May help speed up your metabolism". Water goes through my system fast enough without speeding things up. :-)

Also, you mentioned anti-bacterial. I assume you mean bacteria in the GI tract. That would slow down digestion to help keep blood sugar steady, wouldn't it? What I have been reading lately is that most people don't have enough bacteria. So the advice is to take probiotics. How do we resolve that? Do we want more bacteria or less?

P.S. Thanks for the list you provided.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
(female)

Bren789 HB User

Could you tell me how many ounces of vinegar in how much water you use? I bought the Bragg's vinegar yesterday! Thanks in advance!
Bren

Closed Thread