It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

scarlethue HB User
Question Blood sugar off in otherwise healthy person

I'm 28, female, 5'8" and 140 pounds, active, pesco-vegetarian and I eat pretty healthily (1700-1900 calories a day, average 55% carbs, 15% protein, and 30% fat). I wouldn't think, given my weight, age, diet, etc., that I would have problems like this, but in the last year or so I feel like my blood sugar is all over the place.

About once a week I have an "episode" just before lunch time where my hands start shaking pretty violently and I sweat and get really hot, like I would if I were exercising, only I'm just sitting at my desk. Eating lunch makes the sweating and shaking stop, but then I'm exhausted and weak. Right now I've just passed an episode and it feels like a chore just to move my hands on the keyboard.

I eat cereal with skim milk and a cup of coffee for breakfast, my only caffeine of the day. Lunch is usually sandwiches and fruit or cheese, dinner is fish and salad or something similar. Like I said, I eat pretty healthily-- I'm not pumping myself full of candy or caffeine or anything, although I do crave sweets all the time.

Does anyone have any thoughts for me? I haven't talked to my doctor about it yet, although I know I should. I just don't want to go through a bunch of tests for them to tell me they don't know/can't find anything wrong. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Blood sugar off in otherwise healthy person

Isn't there some place where you can get a free non-fasting blood sugar test, to make sure? They frequently have them in my area. Sometimes it's at the local library and sometimes it's at Walgreens. It's free and only takes a few minutes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Having low blood sugar is no big deal. Mine is low. I just have to remember to eat!
Perhaps a few almonds or some string cheese as a mid-morning snack would take care of it. And there's really no "cure" for it but to eat!

Old 05-16-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
(female)

littleshelly HB User

It sounds like you are hypoglycemic. Hypoglycemia can be mild or serious. Yes, you need to talk to your Dr. They can give you a glucose monitoring kit that will allow you to take blood sugar readings and record them. Then you can take the recordings back to your Dr.
Cereal and milk for breakfast have very little fat and protein. Try adding some protein and healthy fat to your breakfast choice.
What are you eating between breakfast and lunch? If you are not eating, have a snack that will help. Fruit, hard boiled egg, nuts, peanut butter, granola bar. Eat something.
That will keep your blood sugar from dropping too low. I am hypoglycemic and have the same symptoms and more. You have to keep your blood sugar on an even keel. Complex carbs are important. Avoid simple carbs which raise your blood sugar quickly but then it comes crashing back down. Eat every 3-4 hours. Avoid artificial sweeteners and other chemicals that they try to "pass off" as food.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-16-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
(female)

rachelstime HB User

scarlethue;

Those symtoms fall under numerous conditions and that is why the doc would have to take blood too because without the results, it's a shot in the dark.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-23-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
(female)

codysmom2004 HB User

I am diagnosed hypoglycemic. There is really nothing that can be done medically, but monitoring blood sugar is important. Most cereals are high on the glycemic index which cause a sharp rise and fall in your blood sugar - that is what causes your symptoms...when your blood sugar falls. You need to add more protein and avoid foods that cause that "spike" in your blood sugar....also eat more often!

Closed Thread