It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
(male)

Tahlan HB User
Vitamins and Fat

So I have googled forever on this topic and cant seem to find anything one way or the other. I would imagine that if it was that easy then somone would of done it by now.

Can anyone tell me why I cant live and be healthy living off of my own fat and vitamins?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Vitamins and Fat

I'm not sure I understand the question- are you asking if you can lose weight simply by not eating AT ALL and just take vitamins?

If that's the question, for one, allowing your body to begin cannibalizing itself is a HORRIBLE idea. Your body requires food. If you stop eating, yes it will begin to burn up your fat but the body also will begin burning your muscle up also. You will lose muscle mass as well as fat, you risk getting too many ketones in your blood (possible Ketoacidosis- which can be FATAL) plus you would risk organ damage from starvation.

I really hope that I misunderstood your question and that you aren't considering doing something so dangerous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Dee is right. Bad plan.

Also, if you cut your calories too far, your metabolism crashes. You feel tired all the time, you feel depressed and can't concentrate, or you may become very irritable. Worst of all, your immune system becomes dangerously weak. Finally, you might actually lose weight slower that you would by eating small nutritious meals and exercising.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Your own fat plus vitamins would not provide all the nutrients that your body needs. The human body does not produce everything that it needs to subsist; that's why we must eat nutritious foods; and that must be done on a regular and continuing basis.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

The same reason your car cant run on its own oil and petrol - it needs topping up.

Just as your car can run for a few days on its own oil and petrol before it runs dry, your body could, in extremis, live for a short while on your own stores of fat and vitamins, but this is not a healthy practice at all, because the body doesnt only burn fat, it also burns muscle tissue - your body becomes weakens, depleated of vitamins and minerals etc.

Far better to eat a ballanced mixed diet low in calories if you want to lose weight, rather than fast.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
(male)

Tahlan HB User

Please dont take this the wrong way but mostly what I see here is what I see every where "its bad for you, dont do it". This seems to be the standard brainwashed awnser that everyone gives but with little reason why.

The same reason your car cant run on its own oil and petrol - it needs topping up.

The human body if far more complex then a car. If I keep giving the body fuel it stores it as fat for a later time. If I keep giving my car fuel it simply spills out of the gas tank.

The human body does not produce everything that it needs to subsist; that's why we must eat nutritious foods

I agree the body needs calories for energy and nutrition to use that energy correctly. Calories I can get from body fat, so the question is what nutrition can I not get from a pill?

You feel tired all the time, you feel depressed and can't concentrate, or you may become very irritable.

All very true but only for the first 1 or 2 days, after that your body stops allocating energy to the digestive system and you start feeling good agian.

you might actually lose weight slower that you would by eating small nutritious meals and exercising.

This comment is based on the fact that my goal is to loose weight, when in fact the goal is health. There have been studies that show when the body does not have to deal with digestion it is able to heal it self better.

If you stop eating, yes it will begin to burn up your fat but the body also will begin burning your muscle up also

My book research suggests that muscle is much harder to break down in to energy vs fat as a result as long as there is enough fat to provide energy muscle is realativly untouched.

I look forward to hear back from all of you. Think about my points and let me know what you think, dont be afraid to disagree with the general populace or with me

Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

If your goal is health, than I can't imagine why you would even consider this idea. Your body cannot live well on it's own fat and vitamins alone- there is a name for that, it's called starvation. Since you seem determined that you are right, I suspect you'll try your plan, in which case I look forward to you posting how you actually feel after a week or two on your plan.

It's already been pointed out to you that you will destroy your metabolism, lose muscle, risk ketoacidosis and possible organ damage, that you'll feel lethargic and moody, will suffer from memory loss and difficulty thinking, that you will have no energy, etc. Personally that's not my idea of good health.

As to "what nutrition can I not get from a pill?" -- A LOT. There are a ton of phytochemicals that we haven't even identified, let alone simulated. Vitamins today are generally made from synthetic sources in a high heat environment and they are SUPPLEMENTS (IE meant to supplement your DIET, not REPLACE it.) Most people don't absorb vitamins particularly well because of how they are made- our bodies are designed to take nutrients from food, not from synthetic sources.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 06-03-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

All of the minerals are absolutely vital. You even need salt. Those you can get from a pill, but it would be about 3 huge pills a day, and they might not be absorbed well on an empty stomach.

Amino acids. Your body needs 20 of them to function, and 10 it cannot manufacture on its own. Again, they do come in bottles, but it would take a LOT.

Fiber. Without eating fiber, your digestive system will become weak and you may develop problems such as diverticulosis.

And then there are things like lycopene that we are only now learning about.

Like Dee said, if you really want to do it I can't stop you. But it isn't a good plan.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
(female)

beemotivated HB User

Your question is certainly an interesting one and there are many things to consider.
What are you are trying to achieve – weight loss or optimal health?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
(male)

Tahlan HB User

The goal is in fact optimal health. Whenever I ask this question it seems most people cringe at the idea and shun it and claim how bad it is for you. However most of them cannot tell me why. Few others seem to think it is good for you and help maintain health in the long run.

Now in this thread I have read many good responses about nutrition that are to logical to disagree with. So now I would like to open the question of time. Yes the body needs all of these things but how often?

Many people say that not eating is starving, there are books out there published by "doctors" that draw a line between what they call fasting and starving. They say that Fasting is when your body has enough fat supply to sustain itself and starving is when you are out of fat at the body must resort to muscle.

These same books go to say that when you stop eating your digestive track will shut down allowing your body to allocate its energy to other things like detoxifying and healing. They say fasting can have beneficial effects up to 30 days if you have the fat supply to support it. They then recommend a special diet of juice and fruit based on how long you have been fasting to "restart" your digestive track.

Finally, people I am not trying to kill myself, I am searching for the truth. Not the text book truth, not the family doctor truth, not the “3 PHD’s in nutrition” truth. As we know these “truths” can differ so much. But the actual truth and in my opinion the only way to get to this truth is to take my thoughts and combine them with the thoughts of everyone else and come to my own conclusion.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tahlan-

You have been given many good reasons why your "take vitamins and live off your own fat" diet is not a good idea. You've disagreed with everything anybody has said, so at this point I can only suggest that since you are determined to try it, that as long as you are on your diet, go to the doctor regularly for blood tests that will tell you what's going on with your liver, kidneys, blood acidity, etc before you do permanent organ damage.

Somehow I think if you ever asked anyone who has starved before if just taking vitamins would have made it all better, the answer would be a resounding "NO" but who knows- maybe you are completely right. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

Closed Thread