It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Good OTC hunger suppressants

I really, really need to get my appetite under control, and I'd like to consider something from a drug store to help me with that.

Note, I am not looking for a "fat-burning" pill or a diet pill, because I know those won't work. Just something that will make me not hungry all the time and prone to snacking, like an herbal supplement, like something I can grab from CVS or Wal-Mart.

Some that I have heard of that seem to not be full of freaky ingredients or have bad side effects are seaweed, green tea capsules, and psyllium seeds (though I prefer something in pill form, if possible). Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Good OTC hunger suppressants

Dark Stranger,

I think what you're looking for is a placebo and you may indeed find it. I read an article not too long ago that said placebos work a good percentage of the time, even when people know they're taking placebos.

Maybe it doesn't even have to be a pill, as long as you believe it will work. Try something like this: When you feel yourself getting hungry between meals, eat a small (low calorie) snack.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I have found mixing a teaspoon of guar gum into about 300ml of low calorie non fizzy drink (use a shaker, its difficult to mix with a spoon) taken with each meal, keeps you full longer, and makes you feel full on less food.

You can buy guar gum in healh food stores.

You need to drink it quickly, because it thickens quite fast, and tastes gluggy.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User

There is a supplement called PGX Daily which is a "super" fiber that makes you feel full. You take 2 capsules with a full glass of water and it makes you feel full. Look it up and see what you think. It is a health-food store item though.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
(female)

mizcandula HB User

There is a supplement called glucomannan that comes in pill form. It is a soluble fiber, so it absorbs water to form a gel-like mass which makes you feel full. One of the prescriptions I'm on causes me to be hungry and this has definitely helped. Do a Google search for Glucomannan, there's a lot of good information about it out there.

Last edited by mizcandula; 06-17-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

My suggestion would be to eat low cal but bulky foods that keep your blood sugar stable and your hunger satiated for long periods of time. Real oatmeal makes a good breakfast that can do that. Personally I eat brown rice and beans in the morning (I am on an anti-inflammatory diet, long story) and it tides me over to lunch quite handily for not a lot of calories. I eat a lot of vegetables for the same reason. You also probably need to avoid caffeine (can mess with your blood sugar), sugar (same reason), high glycemic foods, etc. If you are eating foods that are high quality and high in fiber, slow burning carbs and protein and low in fast burning carbs your blood sugar should stay stable and your stomach shouldn't be bugging you for food.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Real oatmeal makes a good breakfast that can do that. Personally I eat brown rice and beans in the morning (I am on an anti-inflammatory diet, long story) and it tides me over to lunch quite handily for not a lot of calories.
I like the above breakfast ideas. Very healthy! And there can be lots of variations. Here's one that I have been doing lately: I start out with my usual 1 ounce of wild salmon. Then I have a dish of (steamed) chopped collard greens and green peas (no oil or dressing added). Then, as a separate dish, I have one serving of steel cut oats with chopped fruit and nuts (easy on the nuts). Altogether it's very filling, has lots of calcium and fiber, is low in calories and holds me for a long time. Sometimes too long.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-18-2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: various

Old 06-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Hoodia worked wonders for me. I used the "10 Day Hoodia Diet" pills, which were mainly hoodia and green tea. You take a serving (although I would only take one at a time, not three, or I'd feel too jittery and nauseous) with a full glass of water, then eat. I'd get filled up on my meals very quickly. I remember making a sandwich and only being able to eat about half of it! I tried the same trick but with only drinking the full glass of water and no pill, thinking it was probably just the water making me feel so full, but this didn't work as well. What a bummer! I've also been struggling with my appetite, so I might look for these again. I haven't been able to find them lately except for online, so I might try the Slimquick Hoodia.

I recently had been eating more fiber rich foods and my stomach seems so bloated now. It's really annoying. With the hoodia, I like that I didn't have to feel this way. I never felt bloated full, it was more like as if my stomach were smaller. They don't cause weight loss, but they helped me cut back on calories. I was eating about 1200 a day during that time. I typically eat 1200-1500 calories per day while dieting. The green tea DID assist with water weight loss, though.

Just make sure you do drink the full glass of water with them, or they didn't work as well. The water alone didn't do the trick, neither did just the pills, it was the combination of the two!

I definitely couuld not take 2-3 pills at a time like the instructions said or I'd feel sick to my stomach... I did better with 1 pill before breakfast, 1 before dinner. They also gave me a lot of energy (a big plus)!

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 06-19-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Thanks very much for all the information, everyone. The Hoodia pills sounds great, especially with that energy boost (which I sorely need). I've actually never eaten oatmeal before, but I've heard nothing but great things about it. I should probably try it sometime to see if I can add it to my very short list of Healthy Foods That I Like Enough To Not Force Myself To Eat...the only other foods on this list being bran flakes, vanilla yogurt and homemade fruit smoothies.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I love homemade fruit smoothies and make them quite often. I find that they are pretty good and filling! I add a scoop of whey protein powder to mine, which really helps me stay full and feel satisfied.

With the various fiber pills- do these ever cause upset stomachs (and make you use the restroom) or make you feel bloated? I don't really do well with extra fiber added to my diet... I remember trying those Fiber One bars and felt AWFUL and it just had to be at work. It never got better! I do better with fiber sources from fruits and veggies, so I stick with that.

I haven't been able to find the hoodia pills I used before! I do see them online but never in stores. I tried one with green tea only and don't really notice a big difference, so will not be repurchasing. They were made by the same brand (I could tell by the packaging), but didn't give me energy and didn't make me full or anything since there was no hoodia.

I think Slimquick with Hoodia has pretty good reviews out there. One person even said they stopped taking it because it was "too weird" to not feel hungry! I usually just take a lower dose of things to test them out. I'd be curious to take a look at the other ingredients in it to make sure they are okay and nothing too questionable.

Closed Thread