It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
(male)

FunCupling HB User
Help with my diet and vitamins please.

Incase this information is relavent, I'm an 18 year old male, about 6 foot and I weigh 140-145lbs.

I've been recently changing my life style as far as diet goes. I have been taking in tons of information from reading articles on the web, to watching some films such as Food Inc and Food Matters. As I'm sure some of you know, lots of these things you read or watch have alot of facts, but at the same time some biased opinions are involved. For that reason I'm not completely sure where to turn, or what advice I should be following. For the most part my life has been changed as far as what I'm consuming. I've dedicated myself to only organics, upped my intake of water to about 10x as much as I did before, and just completely changed my diet to contain alot more raw foods.

Before this recent life style change I had a typicle teenage kid diet consisting of ALOT of TV dinners and things such as hot pockets and frozen pizzas. I live on my own, and don't have very much experience cooking, so I felt that was about my only option.

Now to the point of my thread,

A) What vitiams (and doses) exactly should I be taking to be at a optimal health level? I'm clueless with this subject. I'm currently taking about 1000mg's of Vitiam C, and a daily MV. What other things should I be mixing in?

B) I'm not over weight at all, and I keep an active life style. Is there a min/max amount of calories and carbs I should be consuming? My mindset at this point is I'm not worried at all about that issue, and just concerned that the food I eat is natural and organic, and I'm keeping a good amount of it raw. Again, I'm not 100% sure if this is optimal, and maybe I should watch these sorts of things.

C) I need ALOT of help with things to eat. I'm not at all skilled with healthy cooking methods or good tasting recipies. If anyone would like to share some tips or recipies with me, or just point me in a good direction for some info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks alot guys! I look forward to being apart of this forum to get help, and help with keeping us all at the best level we can be at!

Last edited by FunCupling; 06-18-2010 at 03:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Help with my diet and vitamins please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunCupling View Post
A) What vitiams (and doses) exactly should I be taking to be at a optimal health level? I'm clueless with this subject. I'm currently taking about 1000mg's of Vitiam C, and a daily MV. What other things should I be mixing in?
You will likely find a lot of different opinions on this. I happen to believe that if one eats a healthy diet, very few vitamin supplements are needed, if any. For example, I take vitamin D3 and B12. D3 because a blood test indicated that I was in a low range. And B12 because I don't eat animal protein. That's it! Eat fresh fruit etc. for vitamin C. Eat nuts for vitamin E and soforth.

Quote:
B) I'm not over weight at all, and I keep an active life style. Is there a min/max amount of calories and carbs I should be consuming? My mindset at this point is I'm not worried at all about that issue, and just concerned that the food I eat is natural and organic, and I'm keeping a good amount of it raw. Again, I'm not 100% sure if this is optimal, and maybe I should watch these sorts of things.
You don't have to count calories, just stay away from high calorie foods. Usually, but not always, they are processed foods. Concentrate on whole foods like vegetables, fresh fruits, whole (intact) grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. If you eat meat, don't eat processed or ground meat. Eat lean meat. Chicken or turkey breast are good healthy choices (about 4 ounces for your size). Not fried or breaded. Cover with water and bring to a rapid boil. Then turn the burner on low and simmer until tender. When you can easily stick a fork in it, it's done.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-20-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
(male)

FunCupling HB User

ty very much for the advise john. =]

Old 06-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunCupling View Post
B) I'm not over weight at all, and I keep an active life style. Is there a min/max amount of calories and carbs I should be consuming?
If you are unintentionally gaining or losing weight, then you may have to adjust the calorie intake appropriately to maintain the desired weight. If you are attempting to gain muscle, you likely need to increase calorie intake (and if your normal diet is just barely adequate in protein, you may need to increase than to support muscle building exercise, though most people in rich countries already get enough protein for this purpose unless they are trying to exercise at highly competitive athlete levels). If you are attempting to lose fat, you need to decrease calorie intake (though you may have to maintain protein levels by increasing the protein density of your diet in order to try to maintain as much muscle as you can).

As far as carbohydrates go, it is best to consume slow digesting fibrous whole food carbohydrates like vegetables, whole fruit, whole beans, and whole grains most of the time. Fast digesting refined carbohydrates (such as those found in sports drinks) may be appropriate at specific times like during or immediately after a long hard exercise session, but are best avoided at other times. "Carbo-loading" in preparation for a long hard exercise session or event is sometimes done in the days leaving up to the event, but that is generally done with slow digesting carbohydrates.

Closed Thread