It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
(male)

xxnonamexx HB User
low sodium/ no sodium diet help!

hello my mother had heart valve replaced 2 years ago and now she has to go on a low-preferably no sodium diet. ANy help to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. She uses no sodium bread from Trader Joes as well as low sodium chips for a snack once in a while. Is there any good seasonings to use in place of salt or anything that you prefer to help. Thanks

Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: low sodium/ no sodium diet help!

I find that fresh garlic and fresh ginger (like take the root and cut it up) add a lot of flavor to my food without needing any salt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
(female)

climbr HB User

If possible, avoid processed foods and that will take care of the sodium problem.

Now that it's summer time, there's bound to be a bounty of tasty, fresh fruits and vegetables available at a local farmer's market as well as fresh herbs that can add flavor. Good food naturally tastes good, no added sodium needed.

If that is not an option, shop in the natural foods (aka hippy food section ) area of the grocery stores. Most of those products will be low sodium and some will be marketed as such. Read the nutrition facts label to get the full scoop. Dried herbs like basil, oregano, cumin, anise, etc also add lots of flavor. If she likes spicy food then you'll have no problem, just toss dried chile flakes or fresh, diced hot peppers into her favorite dishes Yum.

Last edited by climbr; 06-28-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
(female)

shipscook1 HB User

my job is really a shipscook. I often deal with all the intolerences, allergies, diabetics and the low sodium people.
I actually try to cut back on salt as it is something one can add at the table.
One of the best salt substitutes is acids--add a splash of cider or balsamic vinegar to soups and sauces. Lime and lemon add a fresh depth to any thing Carribean or Mexican.
I put a dish of lime wedges on the table with every meal and it seems to dissappear as the guys try it. Lime on a grilled steak, yumm.
Also when you can, use fresh herbs, fresh ground peppercorns.
When starting a dish with a mirapoix (celery, carrots and onions) saute them down to very transparent. In the South this would include green peppers. About halfway through add garlic and fresh herbs.
take care,
Nan

Closed Thread