It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
(male)

marywells HB User
daily amount

What is the recommended daily amount of sugar, fiber, fat, cholesterol, sodium, potassium, carbohyrates in a 2000 calorie diet

Old 07-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Smile Re: daily amount

Quote:
Originally Posted by marywells View Post
What is the recommended daily amount of sugar, fiber, fat, cholesterol, sodium, potassium, carbohyrates in a 2000 calorie diet
SUGAR: I've never heard of a recommended daily allowance (RDA) for sugar. Almost everything we eat turns to glucose, a form of sugar. Perhaps you're asking about refined sugar? In that case, I don't think there's any requirement for the average person.

FIBER: It might depend on the source. In the book, "The Fiber35 Diet", by Brenda Watson, the recommendation is: 35 grams per day. Others may recommend more or less.

FAT: There's no RDA for total fat that I know of. It's been suggested that you consume between 44 and 78 grams of fat per day (one gram contains 9 calories). You need to consider body size, activity level and health status.

CHOLESTEROL: I'm not aware of any RDA for cholesterol. Your liver produces cholesterol and, hopefully, it will produce what you need.

SODIUM: I don't think there's any exact amount that will suit every person. It would help to know the health status of the person in question. For example, how much sodium for a person who has high blood pressure, vs. someone with "normal" to low blood pressure? However, I think the recommendation for the average person is one teaspoon of salt per day.

POTASSIUM: 3.5 grams or 3,500 milligrams. That's assuming there's no health problem. If you're taking diuretic drugs and have frequent urination, your requirement will likely be greater. On the other hand, I think they restrict potassium for those who suffer kidney failure.

CARBOHYDRATE: You could find out what amount is right for you by searching for a "carbohydrate calculator" on line. The amount is based on height, age, gender, activity level and frame size.

That's to the best of my knowledge and may not be 100% accurate. Perhaps someone else will have something to add, or will correct me if I made a mistake.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread