It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

valgal123 HB User
Recaction to Chocolate

Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this, but I just wanted to know if others felt the same way that I do.

I don't get any of these symptoms from cocoa powder, but if I eat solid chocolate I experience abdominal pain, and increased heart rate. How wierd is that? Why would it only be from chocolate when combined with cocoa butter and sugar?

This is something new for me by the way. I eat a healthy diet, but a few weeks ago I had chocolate chips lying around and ate a couple handfuls every day for 3 days. On the third day is when I started to notice the abdominal pain. I stayed away from chocolate for a month and recently tried it again and the same thing happened. This does not happen though if I have chocolate in a dessert, only when I eat like a chocolate bar.

Anyone else experience this?

I have noticed in the past year that any cocoa of any kind causes my skin on forehead and chest to become oily and break out. I eat a diet mainly of fruits, veggies and whole grains, so I don't know why I get stuck with all these nasty symptoms, not fair.
Anyway, thanks for reading!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Recaction to Chocolate

valgal123,

It seems like you have developed an alergy to chocolate. I think the reason for different symptoms from various products may be due to the way you consume them. Cocoa powder gets added to milk. Right? So you're not consuming chocolate on an empty stomach. But chocolate chips or a chocolate bar can be eaten on an empty stomach. Could that be the reason?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
(female)

valgal123 HB User

Thanks for the answer.
My family has a history of food sensitivities and I have a history of my body telling me that I have food sensitivities when this really isn't the case. Its just stress that makes it seem like food is the culprit.

But, I think this is one time that it is real. I was on a special diet for months recently because every kind of food was making me ill, the only thing i ate was raw veggies and cocoa powder in water. I had the cocoa every day, twice a day, it was the only "normal" thing I could eat. And then I stopped eating it for months, and recently I started it again, but will now stop.

I have cocoa powder in water.

I wonder if carob is okay.

I wondered if the empty stomach had something to do with it, but if I have solid chocolate like after a meal I will get the same reaction.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

valgal123,

The first thing that comes to mind is that you might have milk intolerance. That is, my theory is worth considering only if you tell me that you've been trying milk chocolate, rather than dark chocolate.

Many people, as they get older, lose the ability to produce milk-digesting enzymes. Plain cocoa has no milk in it, and you say you add it to water rather than milk. Most prepared chocolate, whether chocolate chips or bars or prepared desserts, have milk in them. Have you read the labels carefully to check whether there is milk in any of the chocolate that is giving you problems?

If you decide to try carob, it is a completely different plant from chocolate. Some people find that it tastes exactly like chocolate, and others (myself included) find that it tastes quite different. But it can be a good and tasty substitute.

Good luck in tracking down your food reactions.

--Rheanna

Old 07-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
(female)

valgal123 HB User

Thanks for the help.

I'm 20 and the chocolate I consume doesn't have dairy. I guess I will just avoid it for a while again, because I know I consume an above average amount of cocoa powder. I pretty much hate carob, but the raw carob powder isn't too bad.

Closed Thread