It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
(female)

youwishtrish HB User
Am I over weight?

I feel like I have a pretty healthy diet. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, I stay away from sweets, I do not drink any soda, I don't eat beef or pork, I stick with whole wheats, and I love soy milk.

Compared to my younger sister who is a year younger than I, I feel extremely over weight. I am 19 years old, 5'3 and weigh 135 pounds.My sister is 5'2 and weighs about 105 pounds. She has an extremely unhealthy diet, she is addicted to dr. pepper (drinks about 6 a day), loves sweets, and is eating constantly.

What is my problem? I try to stay active as well and my sister isn't very active. I just don't under stand how she could be so skinny and I so fat?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Am I over weight?

If you are active, you may be heavy with muscle rather than fat, which would be a good thing if it is true.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
(female)

youwishtrish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
If you are active, you may be heavy with muscle rather than fat, which would be a good thing if it is true.

Well yes I love to ride bikes, and try to walk places instead of drive as much as possible.. but I am clearly more larger than my sister and not in muscle. I have boobs that just wont stop growing and big hips and thighs.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by youwishtrish View Post
I feel like I have a pretty healthy diet. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, I stay away from sweets, I do not drink any soda, I don't eat beef or pork, I stick with whole wheats, and I love soy milk.
You should be commended on your choice of diet, and your resolve to stay on a healthy diet. That will pay off for you in the long run with a better more healthy, and better feeling body!

Quote:
Compared to my younger sister who is a year younger than I, I feel extremely over weight. I am 19 years old, 5'3 and weigh 135 pounds.My sister is 5'2 and weighs about 105 pounds. She has an extremely unhealthy diet, she is addicted to dr. pepper (drinks about 6 a day), loves sweets, and is eating constantly.
Everyone is different. Just because you are sisters, that doesn't mean that you have the same metabolism. Apparently, your sister can tolerate more calories than you can, as far as weight goes. As far as health? While outside her body she is 105 pounds, inside her body, she is heavier and quite possibly less healthy than you.

Quote:
What is my problem? I try to stay active as well and my sister isn't very active. I just don't under stand how she could be so skinny and I so fat?
Each of us metabolizes calories at a different level. It is just the draw of the cards. Someone could be very skinny, but because of a diet too high in calories, the insides of that skinny person probably is suffering from unhealthy conditions. An unhealthy diet doesn't always manifest itself through increased weight, except, perhaps around the belly area.

For you....... how many calories would you estimate that you have with each meal? How many calories for each day? When you have a meal, do you have a good balance of Carbs, Proteins and Healthy Fats? The general rule of thumb is around 50% carbs, 20% Proteins and 30% fats with each meal.

The body and metabolism requires a good balance of all three of these calorie groups in order to properly metabolize the meal.

Once again, I commend and congratulate you for deciding upon a healthier diet than your sister and not giving into the temptation to eat the same types of unhealthy foods as she eats.

Take care...........

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 07-27-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by youwishtrish View Post

What is my problem?
It's difficult to tell what's going on without knowing all the details of your diet. You could be eating large portions of deep fried (breaded) chicken with lots of mashed potatoes and gravy. We don't have the whole picture. Often, when people gain weight, they have a tendency to underestimate how much they eat.

If you will list what you typically eat in one day (including portion sizes) we will be happy to make suggestions for improvement.

................BMI= 23.9

Breakfast: ?

Lunch: ?

Dinner: ?

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-27-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: BMI

Old 07-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I know MANY people who tend to underestimate their calories. I had friends who would seem to hardly eat, but they were drinking various beverages (milk, tea, etc) that would add up in calories. One thing I find helpful is writing everything down. Even if it's just a bite, or even just plain water, write it all down in a food journal. I like doing this also to make sure I'm drinking enough water.

I had a friend who always ate junk (lots of pringles, buttery popcorn, and dr. pepper) and she was about 5'3 and 95 pounds and did not work out. She was extremely thin. I'm sure at her age she had a very fast metabolism! Some people are just this way, but most of them tend to put on weight later on in life when their metabolism isn't as fast. It's far better to eat a healthier diet and be active, but weigh a little more.

I seem to weigh more than a lot of people my size. I'll wear the same clothing size as another person and we will look pretty similar, but they tend to claim to be 20 pounds or so less! Either MOST of them are lying big time, or I just tend to be more "dense." I do have some muscle, but I don't consider myself any more muscular than the average female that works out. I try to not worry about it!

The main thing is to just be healthy and be comfortable with yourself. Without comparing yourself to anyone, are you happy with your own weight? I know I like to stay in a certain weight range or I feel insecure. For my own good, if I notice my weight creeping up, I keep track of my food and beverages and find areas that need improvement. Often times I'm eating too many carbs, even if they are indeed whole grain/whole wheat. I have to remind myself that in order to eat a normal amount of carbs, portion sizes are usually just a side dish, not the main part of my meal. Portions are often smaller than I estimate! I also usually am not eating enough fruits and veggies. Ideally, I try to eat a plate of mostly fruits or veggies, with a serving of protein and a serving of healthy carbs.

Best of luck!

Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
(female)

ntizzie HB User

Maybe your sister is bulimic and you don't even know about it.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
(female)

crmn2dnce HB User

I would be willing to bet that based on the difference in the diets between you and your sister that your BMI (body mass index) is better than hers even though she weighs less. You can be low weight and still have an unhealthy BMI. You can look up the average BMI for a person your age and height on the internet. Do not trust their interpretation of your BMI just based on height and weight. You could probably go to any local gym and someone there should be trained to test different parts of your body and take an average for your BMI. I did it, and they use a caliper which basically pinches the fat to see how lean you are. If you can afford a trainer they may also help you with exercises for the particular parts of your body you say you may be worried about, such as hips and thighs. I am sure there are also people on here to give suggestions.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:27 AM   #9
(male)

dewet HB User

As has been said already, weight alone does not determine health. You have healthy heavy people and unhealthy skinny people. Forget the scale, measure yoru BMI and Body fat. As long as those two are within range your healthy eating habits will stand you in good stead. If your sister retains her unhealthy habits she may not feel it now, but it will definitely affect her quality of life later on.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
(female)

WanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB User

Excellent post, tUrRrRa. A general rule to follow is "don't drink your calories" if you enjoy eating food and are trying to lose weight. Of course, don't completely cut out healthy drinks such as green tea or milk. I recently started keeping a food journal and it really helps! If i'm craving something I'll go back and read it...and I usually see that I've already eaten it during the day. It makes it easier to say "no."

Thin DOES NOT equal healthy!!! At six dr peppers a day your sister is just wreaking havoc on her internal systems. You may be "heavier" (which isn't a bad thing, everyone is built differently) but you are definitely healthier! Unless you have excess stomach fat/rolls you are probably within a healthy range (as a rule of thumb).

tUrRrRa, I am also "dense." Even at my athletic size, about 150lbs, girls who looked to be about the same weight as me would claim to be 10lbs lighter. I am also muscular and lift weights, but I've always been "dense," too.

The main thing is to be happy and comfortable with yourself! This will totally change your view of things. Although you seem to be at a healthy weight, if you want to lose 3-5lbs for your peace of mind, do it, do it right, and remember that you are so much healthier than your sister.

Best Wishes.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-24-2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 11-24-2010, 05:35 AM   #11
(female)

samteri HB User

I'm exactly like you!! I'm 20, 5'3, 135.! I go the gym 2-3 times a week, & bike at home for days that I don't go to the gym. I'm a pretty good eater, however I do love movie popcorn & tim hortons! But I totally get what you mean. My friend is a stick & she eats a lot of junk. But she get's sick all the time. Never been the healthiest girl. While, I have not been sick in months! *knock on wood*

Just love yourself! I know it's hard, but as long as you know you are active & healthy. You're gonna live a wonderful life!

Closed Thread