It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Question Should I try The Paleo Diet?

I've noticed over the years that I somtimes have a problem with frequent urination. It seems that it might depend on what I eat. Yesterday I went to KFC and had (as a test) grilled chicken breast and one drumstick. Then I had (from the salad bar) vegetables but no rice, grain or beans. And I had a small glass of water after the meal. That's it; I kept it simple and within the rules of "The Paleo Diet", though the quality may not have been the best.

During the next six hours I only had to go to the bathroom once! So maybe it's true that a diet of grains and legumes (as I have been eating over the past 4 years) upsets the acid balance and interferes with kidney function. Today I went back to my regular diet of grains and legumes and I have been going to the bathroom quite often.

What do you think?

Old 08-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User
Re: Should I try The Paleo Diet?

I have been eating/living pretty "Paleo-ish" since last October, so I will give you my biased opinion . Paleo is pretty low in carbs, so if you are going to be lowering you carbs by a large percentage when beginning then expect to still have a bit of urine output at first, eliminating carbs has a diuretic effect on the body, thus the reason why people "lose" so quickly when beginning a low carb regime.

I've been gluten-free since October and dairy free since January, and I truly believe that the inflammatory effect these foods had on me was greatly hindering many aspects of my health. I have discovered that if I eat wheat, I get a tightening in my chest, my sinuses get stuffy, and I have a headache for days. Dairy really seems to mess with my hormones. When I began this way of eating, my blood pressure quickly dropped to normal. I no longer worry about my blood sugar fluctuating.

Now, I have not been checking my acid/alkali imbalance, I'm sorry I don't have a lot of info for you there. I know there are those who use magnesium (usually absorbed through the skin) to keep their acid balance good though. Eating Paleo allows you to eat saturated fat and cholesterol also, a contradiction taboo in the traditional "healthy" Standard American Diet (SAD). The body uses these nutrient substances. Loren Cordain, author of The Paleo Diet, at first (years ago) was against the consumption of saturated fats, he has since changed his stance on this. Mark Sisson is another great author to read up on and quite easy to find online.

There is a sea of information (and misinformation!) about eating/living a Paleo lifestyle. There are a huge many benefits to this way of eating. As with making any dietary change, it is best to be as informed as possible when doing so. It can also take a certain amount of time to really start noticing changes in your health too.

You will find a lot of good and very current information by reading up on the two authors mentioned. I wish you luck in your quest for improving your health

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I really don't believe that it's historically accurate, for one thing. Hunter-gatherer cultures documented in modern or historic times ate plenty of grains, legumes and starchy vegetables. No refined grains, though.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

John, I've been reading through a few postings regarding "Paleo" here and other places... most of the opposing arguments seem to come from not being able to accurately replicate the diet and lifestyle of paleo man. I think that argument detracts from the main context of "paleo" for many, which is using the diet for it's health promoting benefits.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowfish View Post

Eating Paleo allows you to eat saturated fat and cholesterol also, a contradiction taboo in the traditional "healthy" Standard American Diet (SAD). The body uses these nutrient substances. Loren Cordain, author of The Paleo Diet, at first (years ago) was against the consumption of saturated fats, he has since changed his stance on this. Mark Sisson is another great author to read up on and quite easy to find online.
I've already read "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain but haven't read anything by Mark Sisson. Thanks for the tip, I'll check to see what he has written.

About saturated fat: In The Paleo Diet, Cordain recommends lean meat. I think that's an important part of the diet. Yes, I know we need some saturated fat to maintain good health but I don't think we need all that much. Anyway, fat, whether "good" or "bad", is high in calories so I will tend to be careful not to overconsume this nutrient.

Quote:
There is a sea of information (and misinformation!) about eating/living a Paleo lifestyle. There are a huge many benefits to this way of eating. As with making any dietary change, it is best to be as informed as possible when doing so. It can also take a certain amount of time to really start noticing changes in your health too.
I'm glad to hear there's a lot of information about the Paleo lifestyle because I feel like I need more and I like getting input from many different sources.

Quote:
You will find a lot of good and very current information by reading up on the two authors mentioned. I wish you luck in your quest for improving your health
Thanks, mellowfish!

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-03-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
About saturated fat: In The Paleo Diet, Cordain recommends lean meat. I think that's an important part of the diet. Yes, I know we need some saturated fat to maintain good health but I don't think we need all that much. Anyway, fat, whether "good" or "bad", is high in calories so I will tend to be careful not to overconsume this nutrient.
Cordain has moved his stance on fat intake since writing The Paleo Diet. He puts out a great newsletter online on a regular basis. In your reading you should see that in the "paleo" realm, calories in do not have to equal calories out. There is much more going on metabolically that changes that. Without excess carbohydrates, there is not excess insulin... the human body cannot store fat in the absence of insulin, and cannot release excess fat in the presence of it. Your dietary (and stored!) fat is used in the absence of excess glucose. Excess dietary fat that you eat is excreted through the digestive system, not stored on your body. Just watch out for PUFAs!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Regarding fat, remember that paleolithic humans likely ate meat from animals that ran (or flew) away to avoid becoming someone else's dinner and who themselves ate more green vegetables. In other words, the meat was likely much leaner, and the fat it contained likely had different composition (saturated/unsaturated, n-3/n-6, etc.) than meat from today's farm animals that are fed high calorie food while not getting much exercise. Of today's supermarket meats, wild-caught fish and invertebrates are likely the closest to what paleolithic humans (near fishing areas) would have eaten.

Of course, paleolithic fruits and vegetables were likely different from those grown in today's agriculture. There wouldn't have been seedless oranges, grapes, etc. back then. And fruits and vegetables may have been more fibrous and harder to chew than those bred for today's humans to eat.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
I really don't believe that it's historically accurate, for one thing. Hunter-gatherer cultures documented in modern or historic times ate plenty of grains, legumes and starchy vegetables. No refined grains, though.
I too have read that hunter-gatherers did eat SOME grains, SOME legumes and starchy vegetables. However, the authors I read seem to think that grains and legumes were not consumed in any significant amounts.

As far as their consumption of "starchy vegetables", I think that happened too and I'm sure the authors are aware of it. But I don't think hunter-gatherers ate nearly as much starch as what many people eat today. But even if hunter-gathers did eat a lot of starch, I have no doubt that they would have burned the calories. The author of The Paleo Diet keeps saying "non-starchy vegetables" because he likely knows what will happen if he doesn't. People will rightly think, "the potato is a vegetable"! Therefore, potatoes will dominate. And I'm sure he knows that a lot of his readers are likely trying to lose weight.

So far I have read two books on the Paleolithic diet and they both give recommendations for which oils they think are best. They are usually oils like olive oil, Canola oil and Walnut oil. And they don't even make excuses for it. They just tell you which oils they favor. Gee, I didn't know they used oils back in Paleolithic times!

You might find "The Paleolithic Prescription" more to your liking. In this book, I don't recall the author ever saying anything bad about WHOLE grains. And he gives the okay for eating whole grains. But I have a problem with that because I don't think he's being true to the Paleo diet. Just because Paleo-man ate SOME whole grains and SOME legumes, I don't think that means it's okay for us to make it a big/major part of our diet. (Although, I must say that I'm still somewhat conflicted over it because I did just that with my own diet.) What's the point of an author studying the history of the paleolithic diet if he's not going to be true to it?

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-03-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Closed Thread