It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
(male)

JB68711 HB User
With what to replace carbs?

I'm trying to avoid carbohydrates for a little bit just to lose maybe 10 lbs. I realized that carbs are a big part of my daily intake, I can't remember ever having a meal that wasn't loaded with them. I love pasta, rice, sandwiches, and my favorite vegetable is the potato. The problem is I feel that without these things, I'm not satisfying my appetite. Obviously these things are "filling", and other things just don't do it for me. I eat other vegetables, like carrots and asparagus on the side of some chicken... but find myself wanting something more. Is there a good alternative that is just as filling? I've stopped drinking soda which is a big start for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User
Re: What to replace carbs with?

Why would you want to stop eating carbs? They are fuel for your body. I think that if you just try to make your carbs count, you will do wonderful things for your body. Try to eat whole grains when eating your rice, pasta and bread. I also eat potatoes once in awhile, especially sweet potatoes.

It's wonderful that you quit drinking soda. I cut that out about 6 months ago and feel so much better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
(male)

JB68711 HB User

That's another thing I wonder about, what is the difference between whole grain and... well not whole grain. What is the difference between brown rice and white rice (besides white rice tasting better and the texture of brown rice is weird to me).

Old 08-14-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
(male)

JB68711 HB User

Also, I've heard of "bad" carbs and "good" carbs. How can you tell from the packaging which is which?

Old 08-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

Good carbs are carbohydrates that are unprocessed, such as green leafy veggies, beans, nuts, and whole grain breads and cereals and pastas.

Bad carbs are carbohydrates that have been processed, which removes most of their fiber and nutrients. Anything that has refined or enriched flour is included in this. We have a harder time digesting these carbs. They raise insulin levels because they are full of starches and simple sugars, which makes you feel tired.

Hope that helps some.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB68711 View Post
I'm trying to avoid carbohydrates for a little bit just to lose maybe 10 lbs.
What will happen after you lose 10 lbs.? Will you go back to eating lots of carbohydrates? Is it all about weight control or do you have a concern for your health?

Quote:
The problem is I feel that without these things[carbs], I'm not satisfying my appetite.
Adequate lean protein and veggies (leafy greens) is what you need to satisfy your appetite. If you don't get enough protein and greens, of course you will stuff yourself with starchy carbs.

Quote:
I eat other vegetables, like carrots and asparagus on the side of some chicken... but find myself wanting something more.
If you would FIRST eat enough lean protein, lots of healthy leafy greens and vegetables, you should be much less hungry. Then you could pick one serving of one carb as a dessert. Look upon it as a forbidden treat at the end of the meal.

If you're still not satisfied, that means you didn't eat enough before you got to your carb/dessert.

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-14-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: added a word for clarity

Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
(male)

JB68711 HB User

Hi, yes... you've helped me a lot. If you haven't already, try brown rice pasta. I came across it and it is sooo good.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
(male)

dewet HB User
Re: With what to replace carbs?

My experience is also that if I eat the green leafy stuff I do not feel satisfied - I am an absolute carb junkie - especially italian breads. So what I do is eat most of my carbs in the morning, and almost no carbs after 4pm. To avoid hunger I combine a protein like steak or chicken slivers in my salad - that green stuff. For snacks I use unsalted raw nuts (not peanuts cause peanuts are legumes not nuts) or a South African favourite - Biltong. Biltong is very similar to beef jerky, except we eat our a bit softer and often slice it very thin. Another snack I keep on hand is small packets of trail mix with seeds and nuts which is very filling. As far as starch is concerned, I only try and avoid the refined ones as mentions above - potato or sweet potato I regard as healthy food because it is natural and unrefined. Lost 10kg or 6 pounds in six weeks by combining this eating plan with exercise 3 times a week.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
(female)

Puffin77 HB User
Re: With what to replace carbs?

Good carb replacements from experience:
Quinoa for rice/couscous
Cooked and Mashed cannellini or butter beans for potato mash
Steamed Julienned marrow for spaghetti

Closed Thread