It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

kerry467 HB User
Dieting For 2 weeks... Now feel sluggish?

Hi,

Just a small query, i have been dieting for the past two weeks because i needed a change in my lifestyle really. I have made quite a drastic change in my eating and exercising habits, before i ate whatever i liked, usually unhealthy foods such as crisps and chocolate etc (high fat, sugar and carb) and exercising twice a week. I changed my diet to include lots of lean meats such as fish and turkey, soups, sweet potatos lots of vegetables and salads usually around 1500cals a day, i have been drinking mainly water with the ocassional diet coke an have been going to the gym 5 days a week for around an hour and sleeping for 7-9 hours a week. I have put a lot of effort in to my lifestyle change but for the past few days i have been feeling really sluggish and tired and quite moody? I don't understand why and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions? Is it just a detoxing phase that will pass if i stick it out or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help

Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Dieting For 2 weeks...Now feel sluggish?

Consider this: Let's say you eat all junk food, chips, cookies, lot of breads, etc. Let's say you eat that way for 12 months. Then you suddenly one day switch to all organic and freshly-grown fruits and vegetables. Although those are healthier, your body was so used to its other diet that the new diet will actually make you feel worse until you get used to it.

Another problem could be that you aren't in fact getting enough calories, which would make you sluggish and irritable. You might want to eat a bit more calories from grains or breads. They're not bad, it's just that sometimes we eat way too many. Pizza once in awhile won't hurt you either. Don't be too strict with yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I agree with bdrunner79 that it's best to change your diet slowly so that your body has time to make the necessary adjustments. I also agree that your calories may be too low. But you could either raise your calories or try reducing your exercise regimen. Or perhaps a combination of both.

About your exercise regimen: When you suddenly go from 2 days per week (at the gym) to 5 days per week, that's a big change. If I were you, I would have increased it to 3 days per week (every other day) and keep it there for a month or two or maybe for good. There's nothing wrong with 3 days per week. In the past, I have seen people get overly ambitious and then quit going altogether.

Anyway, your muscles very likely need the time to repair themselves. It may be that you exercise one day and the next day is when most of the repairs take place. Give your body time to make the necessary repairs. You might be surprised to find that you can accomplish more with less. :-)

Old 08-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
(female)

kerry467 HB User

Thank you for your suggestions. I have been looking at my diet very closely to make sure im eating enough, i don't have enough will power to starve myself, i enjoy food to much.

Thank you for your help =]

Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
(female)

crmn2dnce HB User
Re: Dieting For 2 weeks... Now feel sluggish?

Sugars and carbs give your body a quick boost of energy, and now all of a sudden you cut them out so that may explain your lack of energy. I would make sure to include some foods with natural sugars like fruits and fruit juices, no sugar added of course, to help you get some energy. I also agree with some of the other people that maybe you are not getting enough calories, and unless you are really trying to lose weight a normal daily intake is about 2000 calories a day. A trainer at the gym told me that if I was working out 5 days a week I really needed to take in more calories.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
(male)

LP123 HB User

Just to echo the above - this sounds like fatigue. Take a week off from the gym, seriously. Maintain your healthy eating plan with maybe a tad more protein and allow your body to recover completely. When you've done that go back to your 3 day routine and add an extra day a month if you wish. Recovery and rest is vital for well-being don't sacrifice it for a quick fix. Good luck with your endeavour.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 AM   #7
(male)

dewet HB User

I just want to emphasise what JohnR41 said about 3 times per week - for me that was a major breakthrough. Once I understood that my body needs time to repair itself I really started losing weight. This is because during that repair period your body is using a lot of energy to effect the repair, which also burns fat. I always thought the more exercise the better, but it is not necessarily true. When I have mentioned this to friends thay often argue that there are some really muscled guys or girls at the gym that go there every day. But those guys are generally very professional, and they target a very specific muscle group on any any given day, and the next day a completely different muscle group. By alternating in this way they still get the 48 hour recovery period for each muscle group.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
(female)

Puffin77 HB User

I think, Your are doing far too much for your body to cope. Take it slow and make positive food choices that will hopefully result in weight loss. Your wellbeing should be your aim and drastic changes are bound to make you tired. In your first month back at the gym, from a long break, you should feel that you can do more... not tired. So take it slow and steady. I lost 17kg in 18 months... But if I told you I was losing less than a 1kg a month you wouldn't be impressed... Good luck! :-))

Old 09-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
(female)

LagunaNiguel HB User

dewet,
hcg only targets visceral fat --the bad fat. It does not touch muscle, water or your structural fat. it is a hormone. no chemicals, no side effects, no fatigue.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
(male)

dewet HB User

I am assuming you are referring to the HCG diet, although I do not recall any reference to it. I think we all react differently to various programs, not just on a physical level but in terms of our mental and emotional connection to what we are doing. I can only relate my experience, which was that after 30 years of trying all kinds of programs I finally developed my own program based on what I had learned in those 30 years. I am a 50 year old male, but it also worked for my slightly younger wife (not polite to mention her age). She has had a lot less of a weight problems than I have had over the years, but it flattened her tummy and really firmed her up so that she looks years younger. It only requires 30 minutes 3 times a week of strength training and some very ordinary common sense eating. Whatever works as long as it is healthy!

Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
(female)

Backporch HB User

Here is my two cents based on personal experience.

I was eating around 1200 calories a day and going to the gym nearly everyday for several months. What ended up happening is

A. I became downright irritable. I was short with everyone, had very little patience, and simply found it really hard to be a nice person

B. I felt weak physically.

C. I wasnt even losing as much weight as I should have been.

Took me a little while to realize that my body wasn't burning the calories it should have been because it was holding onto every calorie like it was gold.

What ended up working for me was increasing my calories to about 1500 (and for you it may be more like 1700-1800) at least every few days and that seemed to jump start my metabolism.

It will too get easier for you after your body gets used to your new diet and starts to get more easily satisfied by nutritious foods.

Closed Thread