It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
(male)

mm9 HB User
Please advise me on the amount of protein I take.

I may need to see a nutritionist about this:I am 6ft 3, male and 20 years old. I am on a vegetarian diet and consume about 45-50gms of protein. I have been taking a whey protein supplement which adds 25g before the gym and 25gm after to my diet. This means I am taking 95-100 grams of protein a day. Is this a dangerous amount? In terms of taking the protein for the gym. Is it necesarry to take before and after?

Thanks

Old 09-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Please advise me on the amount of protein I take.

Hi,

Recommendations can be all over the place on this subject. I read one book (Green For Life) in which the author claims that the average person only needs about 25 grams of protein per day. Others say 40 to 50 or 60 grams.
Another source says a person of average weight should take in less than 70 grams per day. At your height, you likely weigh (?) a lot more than average. And you work out to some extent (?) at a gym.

I would guess that you should take in less than 80 grams per day. But that's just a guess based on the limited information you gave.

Here's what I do: I know when I need more or less protein by how hungry I feel 3 or 4 hours after a meal. The days that I work out at the gym are always different than other days. If I forget to eat more protein on a gym day, I get "unexpectedly" hungry in the early evening, about 3 or 4 hours after my evening meal.

So the question is: how do you feel on 95 to 100 grams per day? Do you sometimes forget to eat a meal because you didn't get hungry? Or, do you sometimes get hungry after 2 or 3 hours of eating a meal? If you can learn to read the signs, it will be better than any number that anyone else can tell you.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-01-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

The most common baseline level of protein intake that I see is 0.8g per kg of body weight per day, or 0.36g per pound of body weight per day, with higher amounts for active people (up to about 2g per kg or 1g per pound of body weight per day for those doing very intense strength training). Some sources suggest using lean body weight (i.e. weight after subtracting the amount which is body fat, but that requires measuring or approximating your body fat percentage) to base protein consumption on.

The baseline level, and moderately higher amounts for moderately active people, should be attainable with normal food (including on a vegetarian diet) unless you are greatly restricting calories or are eating a lot of low protein food (e.g. added sugars, added fats, fruit).

Old 09-02-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
(male)

mm9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm9 View Post
In terms of taking the protein for the gym. Is it necesarry to take before and after?
I weigh 12 stone. This is what I really want to know. On a vegetarian diet I get about 40-45g. It's the timing of when I take the protein that I wish to know. Should I eat a large meal and consume protein either before or after the gym?

Last edited by mm9; 09-02-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm9 View Post
Should I eat a large meal and consume protein either before or after the gym?
I don't think it's a good idea to start exercising when you are hungry or full. For example, if you eat a big breakfast at 7 a.m. it might be best to wait until about 8 a.m. to start (whenever you don't feel burdened by a full stomach). If you feel hungry when you start, I don't think you will be at your best.

After exercising, it's helpful to have a small balanced snack, which would include protein, fat and carbs. It depends on what foods you normally eat. Anything that is handy to carry with you to the gym.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
(female)

Puffin77 HB User

I wouldn't worry about eating too much protein (no kidney disease I guess?).

Rightly pointed out, it is about 0.8-1g of complete protein per kg of body weight. Most foods contain protein and an online food log that gives this info should help you monitor your intake <edited>.

Tofu and quorn are high quality proteins, but if your intake is mainly from pulses and veg, make sure their are combined with grains and rice, otherwise their are not complete (don't contain all amino acids required).

Create a food log for a few days and then review your protein shortfalls. My suggestion is to add silken tofu to fruit smoothies, before a workout and nuts and seeds to your cereal and healthy snacks (fruit).

Good luck. :-)

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-05-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Closed Thread