It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
(male)

mm9 HB User
When is the best time of day to eat blueberries?

I have read that the antioxidant benefits of blueberries are blocked by milk protein. This means it is not a good idea to eat with my cereal as I have milk on it. I would rather not eat it outside of mealtimes as blueberries are highly acidic and could erode my teeth. I am concerned that all of my meals involve protein and this will block absorption. The research is unclear. <edited> But none seem clear on when it is okay to eat them.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-02-2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: When is the best time of day to eat blueberries?

2 scientific problems with the study.

1. They only assessed TWO of the myriad of antioxidants in blueberries, and worse,

2. They only used milk. There is no proof at all from the study that the offending compounds were proteins.

My opinion is that if you enjoy them with milk and/or protein, eat them with milk and protein.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
(male)

mm9 HB User

You are right. The test doesn't even appear to compare the effects of different types of milk. The test did compar milk with water and found that the milk blocked all antioxidant activity. My concern is that although they only mention two antioxidants, they are the two I am interested in getting from eating blueberries. One of them, caffeic acid, is good for brain health.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Well, I guess if you do want to be safe, I probably would separate them. Your topic sparked my interest and I noticed that all the papers I was able to find found only dairy products did this, not all sources of protein. So this would imply at least that it is the types of proteins contained in dairy products. I guess from a biochemical standpoint, it could be argued that the proteins in milk could compete for the cell membrane. On the other hand, they'd have to release sometime, and then the antioxidant would be free to enter, just a delayed absorption.

One other possibility is that if you are using pastuerized milk, the enzymes are gone. Now normally in lipid-soluble vitamins, such as Vitamin E, it is widely accepted that a lipid is required to enter the cell membrane. However, one area that is grossly neglected is enzyme technology. In some cases, enzymes would help absorption even better than fats! So if the enzymes are gone, you won't get any help at least from the milk. There are also numerous chemicals that cows are fed and who in the world knows how these affect absorption of our vitamins/minerals.

To play it safe, I'd separate the times. But don't worry too much, the blueberries will digest pretty rapidly, so not too much time would be required. I'd go blueberries first, wait maybe 30 minutes and then drink your milk. I guess putting them in cereal if this belief is followed would be out.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
(male)

mm9 HB User

Since they are highly acidic and I don't want to erode my teeth, I would rather take them with a meal. What about taking them with lunch or tea? I only usually consume dairy products like the occasional yoghurt, butter and chocolate? So you think these are all no go's. I only consume enough butter to spread on a piece of toast, so that might be okay.

Thanks

Old 09-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

One of those robbing Peter to pay Paul situations huh? Well I'd say this. Eat the blueberries with as little dairy product as possible. Just do the best you can.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
(male)

mm9 HB User

Thanks. And just to clarify, you don't think any dairy product could completely block the absorption of antioxidants from blueberries. I will still gain the antioxidants just not as many.

Last edited by mm9; 09-02-2010 at 05:10 AM.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

No I don't think eating things like butter on toast will block absorption. In fact it's hard to believe that absorption in any case would be blocked 100%. When I say dairy products I mean things like milk, cheese, and yogurt. Butter? Nah. It's just not enough.

Closed Thread