It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
(female)

linmis HB User
breakfast smoothies

I like to have smoothies for breakfast but as there is a lot of natural sugars in fruit I'm concerned about my calorie intake. Can anyone tell me what is a good amount to drink in the morning. Also, does anyone have any info on protein or other smoothie supplements? Thanks

Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
(male)

dewet HB User
Re: breakfast smoothies

I would not worry too much about the natural sugar - taht is what your body needs for fuel - especially first thing in the morning. One thing I really enjoy in my smoothie is chopped almonds, just makes it great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
(female)

linmis HB User

Thanks. I like that idea.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Cooking Light featured a smoothie section a couple months ago. <edited>

This is the favorite of DH & me. It serves two.

One handful of ice
One frozen banana (we cut up bananas into small slices and freeze them)
1/2 - 3/4 cup 1 percent milk
2 small handfuls of fresh blueberries
2 scoops Spiru-Tein vanilla protein powder
2 small squirts (one second each) of agave nectar

Blend until pureed, adding a little more ice or milk if necessary to get a consistency you like.

As an alternative to the protein powder, you can use 1/2 cup of 2 percent Greek yogurt (Fage is our favorite). It's got a bit of a chalky aftertaste, IMO, but my hubby doesn't notice it. You can also use honey if you don't care to spend the $$$ on agave nectar. Lastly, you can really sub out any berry at all. Strawberries are delicious or a berry blend that you might find in your frozen section. We're doing blueberries right now because they're practically giving them away at our stores.

ETA: Dewet is correct on the almonds. They make smoothies uber delish. My favorite smoothie has freshly ground almond butter in it (made from our local organic grocery place) and it is crazy good. High in calories, but seriously good.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-03-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
(female)

annstar HB User

Try to use less fruit and add things such as low fat yoghurt and nuts which will make it still taste good but contain less sugar.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
(male)

Lifejoy HB User
Cool Re: breakfast smoothies

Hi, my name is Werner and I am new to this forum.

I find starting my day with a fruit smoothie helps to keep my blood-sugar level stable all day. This translates into less cravings and a general feeling of wellbeing.

My base is usually a variety of berries blended in purified water. The berries are great anti-oxidents. Almonds are good, try Brazil nuts too. Bananas are a great alternative to yogurt for a different consistancy.

For protein try hemp powder, the colour is a little green but it is a very good source of protein. Also consider juicing your greens and drinking the juice, all your fruit and veggies for the day sorted.

Enjoy

Closed Thread