It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

pianolady HB User
HIGH salt diet for fainting

I had a positive tilt table test yesterday and was told by the attending doctor that I should increase the salt in my diet and make sure to stay hydrated. Does anyone have facts about how increasing the sodium in my diet could affect my health in other ways (perhaps it causes problems with your organs or maybe doesn't allow you to absorb vitamins or minerals like you should, etc.) and advice on how you can offset those potential problems. (I posted this on High and Low Pressure board first, but didn't get much response!)

Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: HIGH salt diet for fainting

pianolady,

Here's how salt can affect your health in other ways:

1) Salt in your diet can eventually cause high blood pressure. How much salt does it take to do that? I don't think anyone knows for sure because every one is different. One doctor has said that if you use salt and live long enough, you will eventually get high blood pressure. But you might be able to offset this potential problem by eating lots of fresh non-sweet fruit and vegetables.

2) Salt (in some unknown quantity) has been known to cause stomach cancer. Once again it depends on the individual. You might have to do some research to find out what the risk is for the average person in the U.S.. Again, lots of fresh non-sweet fruit and vegetables might help to offset this potential problem.

3) I believe that salt is sodium-chloride and the chloride (which most people never think about as a potential for harm) can cause acidity. And too much acidity can put one at risk for various health problems. Once again, lots of fresh non-sweet fruit and vegetables will help to offset this potential problem. Non-sweet fruit and vegetables will work to keep your pH in balance. Non-sweet fruit & vegies are alkaline foods.

4) It can cause you to eat more and gain weight because most people think that food tastes better with salt.

Was your doctor's recommendation based on the result of a blood test? Did it show that you have a deficiency? If so, will you eventually be retested to see if it has been corrected?

Do you have low blood pressure? If so, how low is it? I often have 100/50 when sitting relaxed but I have never fainted. I felt strange once while working out at a gym. They took my blood pressure and it was 100/50. It may seem strange but the more I work out, the lower it will sometimes go. Perhaps it's a result of not drinking enought water. I know if I don't keep properly hydrated at night, I could wake up dizzy. I believe I have it pretty well under control from years of experience but I don't eat any foods with added sodium.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-10-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added a paragraph

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
(female)

pianolady HB User

I had a tilt table test for fainting. My baseline blood pressure was 95/60. I fainted 20 minutes into the test, my heart stopped for 10 seconds and my bp was 54 over something(?). They are recommending the salt and hydration to increase my blood volume and also hopefully my blood pressure. They're also recommending small, frequent meals. I have been on a low salt diet in recent months because my husband needs to eat low salt. We are eating a lot of fruits and vegetables as well. When you say "non-sweet" fruit, what do you mean? I think all fruits are sweet! Do you mean no sweetening added?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Cl- ion causing acidity? Never heard of that. Na+ is an acidic ion, but Cl- is a base.

It's all a balance. We need SOME sodium chloride, but not too much.

BP of 100/50? Wow! My lowest ever was 99/100.

Anyways, the reason they are suggesting sodium chloride and hydration is because water absorption into the cell membrane is enhanced with ions, such as the sodium ion. But too much disturbs the balance and can reverse the trend.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianolady View Post
When you say "non-sweet" fruit, what do you mean? I think all fruits are sweet! Do you mean no sweetening added?
Non-sweet fruits would be items like tomatoes, avocados, lemons and limes. Other fruits like oranges and apples can be sweet or tart. Most people don't know that there is a wide range of sweetness for oranges. In the citrus industry, they can be graded for sweetness from 1 through 18. A nummer 1 is actually so sour that you wouldn't be able to eat it. Your mouth would pucker up as if you were trying to eat a lemon. At the other end of the range a number 18 is so sweet it's like eating candy. Most oranges sold in stores are around the middle of the range. Often, non-sweet oranges are put on sale. It might help to ask the produce manager. Anyway, I read in, "The pH Miracle", that sweet fruit metabolizes in the body as acid.

Yes, most fruits like apples and oranges do have some sweetness. But the sweetest is not the best for health.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

That's an excellent point John. The fruit itself is not alkaline, but rather when metabolized, it keeps the pH in the intra and intercellular fluid a bit higher, where it should be. That is a common misconception.

Some metabolize and lower the pH of the above-mentioned fluids.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrunner79 View Post
Cl- ion causing acidity? Never heard of that. Na+ is an acidic ion, but Cl- is a base.
Perhaps the book I read was suggesting that Cl metabolizes to an acid. Do you think that could be possible or did they get it wrong?

Quote:
It's all a balance. We need SOME sodium chloride, but not too much.
Do you think we (or the average person) can get all we need from natural whole foods without adding salt? This is what The Paleo Diet suggests.

Quote:
BP of 100/50? Wow! My lowest ever was 99/100.
It often checks out as 100/50 when I go for my yearly checkup, if I have been sitting for about 5 minutes. When they check it sooner (after about 2 minutes) it might be about 100/60. Most of the time I feel quite well when it's 100/50. It could be that it dips below that when I feel dizzy or light headed. It usually helps if I drink a lot of water at the first sign of trouble. And that's what I would recommend to pianolady.

Pianolady, have you tried drinking a lot of water at the first sign of trouble? Or better yet, try to keep yourself well hydrated at all times, especially during the hot summer months. And a little salt in your diet may be helpful, as was suggested by bdrunner79. If you decide to do this, try one level measuring spoon (teaspoon) of salt in an empty salt shaker as your daily allotment. (This assumes you're not already eating a lot of salt contained in processed foods.)

Quote:
Anyways, the reason they are suggesting sodium chloride and hydration is because water absorption into the cell membrane is enhanced with ions, such as the sodium ion. But too much disturbs the balance and can reverse the trend.
Exactly; we are in agreement. It's a delicate balance.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

No I agree with you John, no way we need to ADD salt to any of our food. There is plenty already there. Good point.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Oh man I thought of a way chloride could cause acidity. I suppose if you added chloride ions, it could lower bicarbonate concentrations, which would lower pH. Hmm.

Closed Thread