It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
(female)

SAMSARA81 HB User
Healthy food for energy/tiredness and feeling cold!

Just wondered if anyone could recommend some good healthy foods for energy?

I am trying to loose some weight, and am waiting on some blood test results and possibly going to ask for some more. But in the mean time I just wondered if anyone could recommend any foods, which they have maybe found help them?

Thank you x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2010, 05:01 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Healthy food for energy/tiredness and feeling cold!

Hi there! Well I am not promising one thing but my mother used to say "The horses are feeling their oats" I asked her about this one day and she told me they used to have a farm and when the horses were fed their oats they were much more active and energetic. Oats are said to be good for a persons bowels and other things anyway and there are many ways to use whole oats! If the doctor tells you that you are low on iron or anything then of course some other things such as more dried apricots raisins, beans, amaranth, brown rice, millet, dried peaches, prunes, cherry juice (the real not the manufactured) chamomile, peppermint, green leafy vegetables, dandelion, beets things said to be high in iron may help. An author I respect said to use a wide variety of food and if there are any fruits, grains vegetables or nuts in the diet you left out pick them back up and use them immediately unless your body has a sensitivity to it. Hope this helps, enjoy!

Last edited by sjb; 09-08-2010 at 05:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
(female)

SAMSARA81 HB User

Thank you I eat oats, I have porridge oats for breakfast (Warms me up a little) with organic milk and a teaspoon of mixed seeds. But I like the sound of adding dried apricots and peaches. So thank you. Just want to know I`m on the right track and doing as much as I can to make myself feel a little better.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi Samsara81! You're welcome. :smile:

Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
(male)

dewet HB User

SJB I do not often recommend medication because I believe that if you are eating right your body should be in balance and getting enough energy. However a little while back I was also very tired and could not get out of it. I went for a series of 3 Vitamin B injections - one a week - and that got me sorted! Hurt like hell but worth it. Check with your doctor.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi SamSara81: If you want you can tell us the results of your blood test. Sometimes a low thyroid can cause a lack of energy and overweight. Iodine supplementation is said to be helpful but if that is done it should be watched with an occasional blood test. A person can eat seaweed with some iodine and they say the salt should have some but if salt is added it should not have aluminum in it as that has been said to collect in some peoples brains. Aluminum may contribute to certain types of dementia, which no one truly wants.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

When I eat more fresh fruits and veggies (with nothing added to them), I feel more energized. Same with more water! I realize that when I'm not drinking enough water, I get so much more tired. When I'm eating too carb-heavy, I get pretty tired. Overall I try to eat less processed foods and more natural foods when I'm feeling sluggish or tired. It helps big time!

You can also try some green tea if you are looking for a source of caffeine. Green tea makes me feel pretty great!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid disease earlier this year and my doc basically had me change my diet to eliminate all processed food, alcohol and coffee. Initially we did an allergen elimination diet to determine if I had allergies (I did: dairy) but now I can eat any whole food except for dairy products. So I eat a lot of rice, quinoa, amaranth, vegetables, chicken and fish. I drink water and tea, mostly. I have more energy, but still suffer from coldness but mostly at night, not during the day.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 09-21-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Closed Thread