It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

Blue_Flamingo HB User
Arrow Critique my diet please!

Hi there,

I am 23, 5'-5" and around 110lbs..not looking to lose anything but just stay fit and healthy. I am a bit of a perfectionist however and would really like to completely flatten out my lower belly. I try to avoid sugar and salt as much as possible but I feel like maybe I'm missing something. Here is an example of a typical day for me:

Breakfast (around 400 calories):
-2/3 cup instant oatmeal
-1 cup strawberries (or blueberries etc)
-sprinkle of raisins
-15 raw almonds

Morning Snack (around 150 calories):
-Kashi TLC chocolate mocha granola bar
-Sometimes coffee with a sweetener & creamer or herbal tea

Lunch (around 300 calories):
-1 1/2 cups mixed greens with a can of tuna (low sodium) mixed with a tbsp of tzatziki and a bit of low fat mayo, green pepper & a mushroom
-1- 1 1/2 cups grapes

Afternoon Snack (around 200 calories)
-Apple
-1 tbsp peanut butter

*workout: could be spin class, weight class, or my own workout consisting of cardio & abs. 45 mins-1 hour, 15 mins

Dinner (around 400 calories)
-Corn on the cob with a 1/2 tsp light margarine
-1/2 cup steamed cauliflower with a bit of light cheese melted on top
-4 oz. boneless skinless chicken (steamed)
-Tbsp of tzatziki or ketchup for a bit of flavour

Evening Snack (around 150-200 calories)
-1/2 cup yogurt
-1/2 banana

Some other things I enjoy:
-Egg white omlettes
-veggie sandwiches with avocado, cucumber, egg etc. (usually on weekends)
-spaghetti squash with ground turkey & tomato sauce
-Rice cakes with peanut butter
-Lots of other things (I'm not a picky eater)

I know everything I eat is very healthy (minus the occasional social dine out) but am I eating too many carbs or fruit? What else can I do to make my diet better?

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Critique my diet please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Flamingo View Post

Breakfast (around 400 calories):
-2/3 cup instant oatmeal
-1 cup strawberries (or blueberries etc)
-sprinkle of raisins
-15 raw almonds
Instant oatmeal is a highly processed product, in my opinion (steamed and rolled etc..) I would suggest the egg whites instead so you will at least get some balanced protein.

Quote:
Morning Snack (around 150 calories):
-Kashi TLC chocolate mocha granola bar
-Sometimes coffee with a sweetener & creamer or herbal tea
The Granola bar is another highly processed product. Is that supposed to be healthy? If so, in what way? Some coffee or tea is fine but without the sweetener & creamer.

Quote:
Lunch (around 300 calories):
-1 1/2 cups mixed greens with a can of tuna (low sodium) mixed with a tbsp of tzatziki and a bit of low fat mayo, green pepper & a mushroom
-1- 1 1/2 cups grapes
This seems like a pretty good lunch except for the tzatziki (which I never heard of) and the low fat mayo. More processed foods or condiments.

Quote:
Afternoon Snack (around 200 calories)
-Apple
-1 tbsp peanut butter
A small apple is good but peanut butter is another processed food. Walnuts would be a better choice, for example.

Quote:
Dinner (around 400 calories)
-Corn on the cob with a 1/2 tsp light margarine
-1/2 cup steamed cauliflower with a bit of light cheese melted on top
-4 oz. boneless skinless chicken (steamed)
-Tbsp of tzatziki or ketchup for a bit of flavour
Corn on the cob is starchy and doesn't add much nutrition to your diet compared to dark leafy greens, for example. Cauliflower is good but you should dump the melted cheese which is another processed food. Is it chicken breast? If so, that's good. Skip the tzatziki or ketchup and use extra virgin olive oil for flavor and health.

Quote:
-veggie sandwiches with avocado, cucumber, egg etc. (usually on weekends)
-Rice cakes with peanut butter
Skip the bread and rice cakes and get more dark leafy greens and broccoli etc. in your diet. There's a long list of healthy vegetables you could be eating. That's what I see as the main fault of your diet in addition to processed items.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-17-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: editing quote

Old 09-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I used to eat steel-cut oats and I would add some fruit and nuts, for breakfast. I did that every day for at least 15 years. I did that because I thought it was the best I could do. Oats contain good fiber and boron. And people eat oatmeal to lower their cholesterol. And maybe they eat it because they like it; that's a benefit too.

But then I found more and more authors claiming that grains are not good for our digestive systems. They call grains and legumes "antinutrients". Grains and legumes contain phytates and lectins.

So at the beginning of last month I started eating a big salad for breakfast. I fill up a big salad bowl with lots of leafy greens, celery, carot shavings, cucumber, tomatoes etc.. I switch around to different leafy greans depending on what I happen to have on hand. Even leftover broccoli can be good in a salad. Then I season with lemon juice and olive oil. It's really very good. I often finish up by having an egg white and one omega-3 egg (whole egg) for protein.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-20-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Added more salad ideas

Old 09-20-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

I think your diet is well balanced. Your protein intake is appropriate and carbohydrates are not excessive.

I also think its fine to add the light mayo etc. for flavor enhancement. Doctor's use to advocate no sodium diets, but in the end people did not stick with them because they were so bland.

Have you calculated your total daily calories?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
(female)

Blue_Flamingo HB User

Thanks for the replies

I know that the tzatziki, mayo, cheese etc. are not the best options but I use them very sparingly so I thought it was ok...I think it'd be very bland to eat cauliflower etc. with nothing on it. I make sure not to load it on. I've checked the ingredients in the granola bars I eat and I thought they were pretty good- 30 calories, 6 grams of sugar, 4 grams of fibre & 6 grams of protein. Pretty low fat too compared to most other brands.

As for the corn, I have been trying to avoid it and do an egg white & chicken omlette for dinner instead.

My calorie intake is usually around 1500-1600 calories and then I burn between maybe 200 or 300 with workouts.

Last edited by Blue_Flamingo; 09-20-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

Your diet is well balanced, so I wouldn't worry about the mayo, tzatziki etc. Cheese is a good source of protein and you need protein if you're working out.

Your daily caloric intake is adequate too. Also, your BMI is in the weight appropriate range with room to spare so, you must be doing something right.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Flamingo View Post
Thanks for the replies

I know that the tzatziki, mayo, cheese etc. are not the best options but I use them very sparingly so I thought it was ok...I think it'd be very bland to eat cauliflower etc. with nothing on it.
My critique may seem overly strict but I never ask anyone to do something that I'm not doing myself. I don't buy any foods with added sugar or salt. I don't buy ready made dressings; I use olive oil and lemon juice. I don't eat processed foods other than olive oil. And I don't eat any dairy or grain. I get all of my carbs by eating about 16 to 20 servings of non-starchy vegetables and dark leafy greens every day. And that's easy to do because I don't fill up my stomach with grain. I also eat about 4 servings of not-so-sweet fruit and lean protein like boneless skinless chicken breast.

Just thought you might like to know.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
My critique may seem overly strict but I never ask anyone to do something that I'm not doing myself. I don't buy any foods with added sugar or salt. I don't buy ready made dressings; I use olive oil and lemon juice. I don't eat processed foods other than olive oil. And I don't eat any dairy or grain. I get all of my carbs by eating about 16 to 20 servings of non-starchy vegetables and dark leafy greens every day. And that's easy to do because I don't fill up my stomach with grain. I also eat about 4 servings of not-so-sweet fruit and lean protein like boneless skinless chicken breast.

Just thought you might like to know.
It is helpful though, even if most users on here don't eat as strict as you do, because then we can learn some helpful tips on ways we can improve our own diets! I doubt I'll ever be able to 100% eat like you do, but I think the more changes I can make, the better. I mentioned in another thread that I struggle with making sure I pack good foods ahead of time, but it's something to work on! I find myself in odd situations where I can't buy food at a grocery store or have to choose between sleep and going to the store. I hope one day it won't be like that

I agree that if you can keep the condiments to a minimum, that's best! I do buy some packaged items that are processed, but I make it a point to look at the ingredients. If there are a ton of items that I have never even heard of, then I look for something else. There are a lot of options that at least have fewer ingredients without strange chemicals in them. For example, Larabars are a good alternative to some breakfast bars, since they don't have many ingredients (the cashew cookie kind only has cashews and figs). You might want to try those if you like granola bars! They may not be perfect, but they are great options compared to many other bars.

With the margarines, also be sure to make sure it doesn't have trans fats! With the mayo, I'll occasionally have it (reduced fat w/ olive oil), but I'd say no more than once a week, and probably more like 1-2 teaspoons for a serving rather than the serving on the bottle. MOST of the time though, I actually like to use hummus or avocado instead.

Closed Thread