It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
(male)

LP123 HB User
Cold water with meals

Is it OK to drink a glass of cold water with your meals? I've hear that it is bad for digestion as it dilutes your stomach acid and can cause fats to solidify.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Cold water with meals

LP123,

I think a lot of people must be drinking cold water with their meals; otherwise, why would full service restaurants be serving big glasses of ice water with their meals, and sometimes coffee as well.

Although, just because it's being done by a lot of people, doesn't mean it's a good idea. I heard from one health source that it does dilute your stomach acid. Another source, the author of "Green For Life", stated that not everyone produces the same amount of stomach acid. Some produce a lot and some produce little. In general, people seem to produce less as they get older.

To play it safe, I would suggest drinking water at room temperature about 1/2 hour before meals.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

In the book "The 7 Pillars of Health" by Don Colbert MD he has water being the first pillar- but he advocates not drinking more than 8 oz with a meal. He suggests drinking most water between meals. I'd have to go back and look to see if he explains why, I suspect it does have to do with the stomach acids.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

Fats are digested in your small intestine not in your stomach. Many foods contain solid fats. There's nothing harmful about fats being in solid form.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
(male)

LP123 HB User

Thanks for the replies.

Closed Thread