It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
(female)

Rockndrums07 HB User
Allergic to Wheat, and tons of other food allergies. Need diet help badly!

Hello,

I am 22 years old and I just found out that my fatigue and stomach issues have all come from my food allergies. I am allergic to Wheat (gluten), Dairy, Soy, Corn, Peanuts, and walnuts. Just being allergic to Wheat alone really narrows down my options when it comes to food. I am looking at doing the Paleo Diet (which wont be much of a diet for me, more of a lifestyle change). My problem is that I have been on it for a week, and I find myself just not eating because I have no idea what I can eat! I'm constantly looking at food labels, and the amount of foods I can have gets smaller and smaller, and it is very frustrating. I know that I can have meat, veggies, and fruit. But cooking meals is a huge hurdle for me. I HAVE to stick to a gluten free diet unfortunately. For example, today I have had a small salad, and a peice of grilled chicken breast, an apple and banana. Which I know is not enough considering it is 11pm.

Is anyone else here allergic to Gluten? Any advice? Ideas for meals?

Also, if anyone has done the Paleo diet, have you seen weight loss results?

If anyone has any advice, I will take it! THANKS!

Last edited by Rockndrums07; 10-26-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
(female)

Rockndrums07 HB User
Re: Allergic to Wheat, and tons of other food allergies. Need diet help badly!

Thanks! I will definently look into that diet a little more. Althought the weight gain part does not sound appealing to me. I need to lose 20lbs. My health struggle has made my weight fluctuate and I am hoping this paleo diet should help. (I don't see why it wouldn't).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

My diet is pretty "Paleo," has been for about a year. Mostly because I suspect wheat and/or dairy were causing the horrible eczema I'd had for years, and I believe in eating lower carb to control my blood insulin response to the foods I eat.

You will have to overcome the hurdle of preparing your own foods, plain and simple. A big part of Paleo (or any healthy way of eating, for that matter!) is consuming foods that are unprocessed, you prepare them whole from their natural state. Do you have any literature on eating "Paleo" or following a similar such diet? Having something to follow makes it a lot easier, and you won't feel as limited in your food choices when you have lists in front of you of what you can eat.

A typical day in food for me... I love eggs, I will eat them every day if I can, often with bacon or sausage. I'll eat peanut butter plain sometimes (peanut butter is not a "Paleo" food though!). "Sandwiches" using romaine leaves to wrap the contents in instead of bread. Fajita skillets, lamb steaks, meat of all kinds for that matter, often paired with one or two vegetables on the side. I also eat a lot of lower carb fruits... berries, melons, peaches, plums, and nectarines.

I know a lot of people who are dairy allergic who can use casein-free ghee instead of butter, further down the road when you are established in your new way of eating that is something you could try if you are really missing it. You should be able to get enough calories if you are not afraid to eat your protein and fats, I will often eat an entire avocado in a day on a couple of salads.

Don't be afraid to get creative and explore different vegetable dishes and ways of cooking. You may have to do this to ensure your lifelong health from here on out!!! And weight loss... I attribute mine to restricting my carbs... it's been very gradual but I have never felt better in all my life. I suspected I was insulin resistant for many reasons. All the symptoms I had pointing to IR have disappeared. I am also 27 weeks pregnant and have gained only about 5 pounds (I was still a little bit heavy when I conceived) and have had the most amazing pregnancy so far, no morning sickness and lots of energy throughout. I attribute this also to eating a lowered carb intake.

Good luck on your new lifestyle

Last edited by mellowfish; 10-27-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockndrums07 View Post
I am looking at doing the Paleo Diet.
I think the Paleo Diet is a good choice. Everything you're allergic to is not part of the paleo diet, except walnuts.

Quote:
My problem is that I have been on it for a week, and I find myself just not eating because I have no idea what I can eat!
According to the Paleo diet, you can eat all the LEAN meat you want. Although, I'm on the paleo diet and I don't eat all the lean meat I want. I just eat enough lean meat to satisfy my protein needs. I figure it won't be a healthy diet if one fills up on lean animal protein. The bulk of the diet should come from a wide variety of leafy greens and vegetables. Other than that, you can have fruit, berries, nuts and seeds.

If you don't like vegetables, you won't buy them at the store and therefore it will seem like there's nothing to eat. You need to buy celery, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, avocados, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, collard greens, romaine lettuce, turnup greens, cabage, parsley, radishes, acorn squash, yellow squash, kale, spinach etc.. It's difficult to keep everything fresh so I recommend that some portion of it be frozen. They should call this diet "the leafy green/vegetable diet". Without a BIG variety of dark leafy greens and vegetables it will only be a pale imitation of the paleolithic diet.

If you eat all the lean meat you want and very little fruit and vegetables, you will very likely become constipated and lacking in antioxidants and other important nutrients.

Quote:
I'm constantly looking at food labels, and the amount of foods I can have gets smaller and smaller, and it is very frustrating.
For the most part, you will need to forget about processed foods and stick to natural whole foods. But once you acquire a taste for it, you won't ever want to go back to eating starchy, sugary, salty, fatty processed junk.

Quote:
Any advice? Ideas for meals?
Breakfast is the most difficult because most people are used to having their favorite comfort foods like buttered toast or cereal. What I do is make a big salad in a big salad bowl. This would be about 8 servings of vegetables to fill you up. You can include some chopped nuts, olive oil and lemon juice.

For lunch and dinner you can have vegetable soup or steamed vegetables. That's why it's necessary to have a wide variety of vegetables on hand; if you don't change around, you will get bored. (I sometimes nibble on raw vegetables while waiting for other vegetables to cook.)

Quote:
Also, if anyone has done the Paleo diet, have you seen weight loss results?
Unfortunately, yes. I was at my lowest ideal weight when I started the Paleo diet and before I realized it, I lost about 4 lbs.. And trying to gain it back has been difficult. So far I have gained back one pound.

If you follow the rules, you will lose a lot of weight. That's not a problem. Just be careful not to lose too much.

Good luck!

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-27-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: close quote

Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowfish View Post
A typical day in food for me... I love eggs, I will eat them every day if I can, often with bacon or sausage. I'll eat peanut butter plain sometimes (peanut butter is not a "Paleo" food though!).
Would bacon and sausage be very "paleo", since paleolithic humans wouldn't have salted and cured their meat (and probably would have found wild animal meat to be much leaner than typical modern bacon and sausage)? They may have been able to dry and smoke (over real fires) meat and fruits to preserve them, though.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Would bacon and sausage be very "paleo", since paleolithic humans wouldn't have salted and cured their meat (and probably would have found wild animal meat to be much leaner than typical modern bacon and sausage)? They may have been able to dry and smoke (over real fires) meat and fruits to preserve them, though.
Certainly not ... but I am not condemning myself for not eating Paleo perfect either (especially since my diet is geared more to being ketogenic for my health). To be particular, Paleo foods also do NOT include nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers etc.), beans or legumes, most seeds, and a large host of fruits and vegetables that have been cultivated by humans in the past few hundred years.

Paleo foods are mostly leafy greens and vegs, some tubers, and everything that "if you can shoot it, you can eat it" and that encompasses all organs of the animal as well. Protein composed the bulk of dietary calories in a hunting society. Paleo peoples were thought to not have plentiful food supply every day, often going days between meals. Many folks who consider themselves Paleo are certainly not purists in what they eat, quite often there is the inclusion of some Neolithic foods. Then there is the controversy over whether or not some things are truly Paleo according to historical accuracy.

Whatever version of Paleo eating one is following, I think it still comes down to a very healthful way of eating, whether some non-Paleo meats and produce are included or not. It is a good move away from refined processed foods, especially when one is eliminating allergy triggers such as grain and dairy.

Last edited by mellowfish; 10-27-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
(female)

bag raiders HB User

eat quinoa its high in protein n gluten free

Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #8
(female)

PatC1959 HB User

I follow a gluten free Dairy free diet and choose to eat very little meat a couple of pieces of fish a week. I eat a lots of brown rice, Rice noodles, rice biscuits and rice porridge for breakfast. Rice is a good staple if you cant have bread, noodles etc. Also beans and lentils are good to make things interesting like veggie burgers and dont forget the spices.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
(female)

alumbra2010 HB User

The diet you've chosen could work for your situation. Have you had your doctor test you for food alergies? Also consider taking a whole food gluten free multivitamin such as one from emerald labs. All their supplements are gluten free and made from raw whole foods. I have been a nutrition counselor for many years and this is one of the best lines I've seen. They also have a digestive enzyme complex with probiotics in it which strengthen your immunities and the engymes assist in the absorption of nutrients. Whole food supplements are recognized by the body as food and are completely absorbed as opposed to their synthetic counterparts. Also for the skin condition, try fish oil either as a suppliment or by eating fish several times a week. They contain essential fatty acids which are very important. Eating more raw foods will help too. Make sure to include foods high in calcium and iron such as raw spinach. Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

thanks for the info. I, too, am allergic to wheat products. Have been so for years but have chosen to ignore it up until this point. The fact that I have been having problems with diareha and everytime I eat foods made with flour, it eats right thru the skin on my face, I can't ignore it any longer.

I've been slowly deleting wheat and gluten from my diet. I've even tried the glueten-free products on the market and I have a reaction to those. I suffer from depression so I can't really go low carb. It has been difficult for me trying to figure out what type of diet to follow where I'm going to get enough fiber and all the nutrients that I need. I'm not a fan of fruits and vegetables but I guess this is something I'm going to have to learn to get over. I do have a weight problem so I'm definately avoiding any diets that will make me gain weight. It's going to be a challenge for me trying to delete wheat and gluten from my diet, but you guys have given me some ideas.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
(female)

alumbra2010 HB User

Ducky, if you are still reacting to gluten free foods then gluten may not be the issue. I would suggest doing a whole body cleanse and short fast to clear out possible toxins. Then begin eating, slowly one thing at a time, starting with raw veggies and simple low allergin grains like brown rice. Tons of wholesome fiber there. If you eat anything prepackaged even if its gluten free, there could be additives, preservatives, colorants, etc. That could be causing problems for you. Food dyes, artificial sweeteners and fillers, even synthetic vitamins can cause reactions. Look into raw food diet. Its not easy and there is prep work involved but its one of the best diets for enzymes and fiber. Emerald labs makes good supplements too that are completely food based, Raw One is another multiple vitamin made from raw whole food nutrients....when experimenting and looking for a diet that works for you, often nutrition suffers. This is why I suggest a multivitamin supplement. With a raw food diet nutrition is high, allergins low....watch out for nuts though. Adding things in one at a time and observing your reactions if any is the best way to check for allergins.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
(female)

alumbra2010 HB User

Just another thought, as to the depression and low carb comment. Protein stabilizes blood sugar. Shouldn't be an issue. But try 5htp....very good supplement for mood balance. Also have your thyroid checked if you haven't already....a poorly functioning thyroid can show up as mood imbalances, weight issues, and skin disorders too. Just a thought...

Old 12-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

Alumbra, never thought about the thyroid thing. I've been sufferring from mood swings over the past several months (which I had been blaming on the anti-depressants & sleep meds). That, along with the weight issues and skin problems, I guess I should have my thyroid checked out. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

Also, is there a good full body cleansing product that you can recommend? Something I can buy at a health food store?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
(female)

alumbra2010 HB User

Depending on where you live there are many good whole body cleanses on the market. Definately go to a supplement store or whole foods type market that sells quality supplements. Make sure that the cleanse is whole body and not just a gi tract cleanse. It should have at lease two parts; a fiber part and an herbal detox part. Herbs to look for would be milk thistle, dandelion, burdock root, red clover, elecampane and black walnut....all of which are blood and organ detoxifiers. A great national brand cleanser I like is from Yerba Prima. Its called Renew. There is a mens formula and a womans formula, each with a third component for balancing hormones, which are part of the thyroids function. This cleanse has an awesome blend of detoxifying herbals and a good balanced fiber blend that includes soothing elements. These cleanses address the whole body; gi tract, liver, kidneys, blood, respiratory system, adreanal and lymphatic systems. They remove toxins, clear digestive tract, balance hormone production and strengthen immune system. Most reputable supplement chains should carry them.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-13-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Closed Thread