It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Will I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB User
At a Standstill

Hello! I am at a standstill and I'm completely frustrated. I've been an emotional eater all my life. I'm 32 and I am struggling once again. I workout with a trainer 2x a week. I try 5-6 small meals a day but I'm getting bored. As with every other diet, when I get bored, I fall off completely, start binging here and there and want to completely give up. My body fat percentage has gone down but the scale has barely budged. I reached my last goal of 148 but have since put back on a few. I've always weighed more than I look. I lost inches more than pounds. I need advice on how to get myself back on track before I give up completely. Parts of my food log for my trainer have been truthful; others not. I'm losing my discipline and need a reality check.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Will I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB User
Re: At a Standstill

Thanks for your reply. The issue is I'm getting bored with foods but don't know how to change it up. I don't eat fish. I'm working on adding more veggies but they bloat me and don't help IBS with constipation. I'm ok when I'm at work because I bring set meals. It's when I leave work that I end up buying a box of pasta and make that with sauce. Not everday! Here are the foods I pick from.

Egg whites
Oatmeal
Brown Rice
Chicken
Chicken meatballs
Chicken burgers
string beans
working on spinach
broccoli
Turkey on whole wheat
High Fiber cracks with 2 tbsp peanut butter
Protein bar once and a while
Protein shake once and a while

I feel like these are the only foods in the world...grrrr!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Well, what has happened here isn't diet and nutrition related, this is a mental issue here. Believe me, I've been there before. When I was competing in distance running, it became compulsive. If I so much as ate ONE extra calorie in my mind in a day, I would feel as though my training all went out the door. Then I would cut some out here and there thinking I was "getting ahead." Needless to say I couldn't keep this up. I only performed well for about 3-4 weeks before developing a stress fracture and then binge eating after that.

What I did was I realized that 1. Restricting my diet was NOT going to solve my problems and 2. What I ate could be negotiated because just as long as it wasn't A LOT of stuff, I could eat almost anything.

I began running again and just going with the flow. You can eat anything you want just as long as it is in small proportions. The thing that you do not want to do is to get obsessed with purposefully NOT eating certain foods, because then you'll just become a slave to that idea and won't enjoy life too much.

What you need is some success to see for yourself. My suggestion would be to throw out that dang food list and just pick foods that are relatively healthy and that you like and if here and there you eat a big piece of chocolate cake, oh well. Continue your exercise program with the small meals (that aren't so restricted) and you will be fine. Your weight will go away on its own.

The problem with your current situation is that you changed two things at once, which will never work. You added exercise and cut your meals to smaller, more frequent. But you also added restrictions to those meals, which just will never work. This takes a long time. Once you are exercising and not worrying about your diet so much, just the quantity, then you can gradually change to other foods.

But give yourself a chance at success first. You can do this, I'm sure.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much for all suggestions. I'm not a wiz in the kitchen therefore I cut myself short. I do need to work on the mental end of it. That's the part that gets me all the time. I'm hoping it's just a bump in the road and I will find where I was again.

Closed Thread