It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
(female)

leonap HB User
Question Uncontrollable food cravings around period.

I dont even know where to post this-womans health,mental health,diet and nutrition...I think it covers them all.I have horrible food cravings starting about a week and a half before I start my period.They are so intense and uncontrollable that i will actually binge and purge.It si a overwhelming cycle that will not break until I start my period.My periods are not bothersome,they are rather light,although I do get bad bloating before hand.I am a vegetarian for quite some years,so I was wondering if I could have a vitamin/mineral deficiency??Also what helps with this??It rather takes over my entire life that week before.I'm miserable.Can a certain supplement help.I do have fibro and take meds for that and also take meds for high blood pressure.Any vitamins/minerals that can help??It doesnt seem like a deep complaint but believe me,it is awful.What is my problem?????????Anyone have asimilar experience????I sure would appreciate some feedback.thanks and have a lovely weekend.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Uncontrollable food cravings around period.

leonap: This sounds like you might be having reactive hypoglycemia. Since you're a vegetarian you might not be getting enough carbs. Have you ever had your blood sugars tested to see what they are around the time you're experiencing these episodes? Hormones can make you hungry and insulin is a hormone too. Have you talked to your gyno about this? If not, maybe he can help you out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
(female)

VA_girl HB User

I was just talking to someone about this, I go through the exact same thing, only I tend to have low blood pressure, not bad enough for meds or anything. My mother is hypoglycemic and I think I may be too. But my PMS is a nightmare, same exact issue w/ food....only at PMS, includes horrilble constipation and insomnia during that time too. I'm also looking for some natural help/relief, doc's don't have any good ideas. :-(

Old 11-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
(female)

leonap HB User

Ohhhh noooo.I get the insomnia too.And you know,doctors dont say too much when you bring this issue up.They have people coming in with much more serious health issues I guess.They want to slap on an intidepressant,which a lot of them might add to the food cravings because I heard they can cause weight gain.And my meds for Fibro dont really mix with the newer drugs like lexapro and cymbalta.Thank you to both of you guys.I am going to have to really start looking into reactive glycemia.There has to be a nutritional,hormonal issue.The cycle starts when we eat something that triggers even more the insulin,that in turn triggers us to eat more of the same kind s of foods.It's awful.There seems no possible way to get out of this cycle once it has been triggered.It's like falling down a dry well and being thirsty.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

leonap: Insomnia can be helped by taking melatonin. It's a hormone excreted by the pineal gland that gets reduced as we age. It's high in young people and that's why they want to sleep so much. Insomnia and hypoglycemia are also on the list of around 40 symptoms of estrogen dominance. Look it up. Do you eat soy? Alot of vegetarian do so they can get the protein from it. Soy is a phytoestrogen and messes with your estrogen receptors, and could increase the level of estrogen in you and cause these problems.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
(female)

VA_girl HB User

I've started to take Melatonin, Magnesium and HTP to help...I've also just recently started the projesterone cream, I hear using it during the days you are not on your period is very good for you. I just got some from the health food store. Research that too.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
(female)

leonap HB User

Yes...I do also eat alot of soy...Interesting.I never even gave that a thought about the hormonal effects.Soy does elevate estrogen hormones doesnt it...I do take melatonin also.Still have troubles at times with the insomnia.I have a sister who told me something about a product called Calm.She said she buys it powdered.(????)She said it is magnesium,calcium,and potassium and said it got rid of her anxiety attacks completely,and that her doctor was able to take her off her blood pressure meds.So I also will look more into this product.I guess a good majority of us are deficient in those three minerals.Thanks for all the info you guys are giving me.it is very,very helpful.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
(female)

leonap HB User

Is the prgesterone cream the wild yam cream??Is that the same thing.??thanks

Old 11-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

leonap: The progesterone comes in different forms. If you get it at the healthfood store it's already made in a pump bottle and it's got a long list of ingredients in it. The wild yam progesterone is made at a compounding pharmacy and you need a RX for it. You can get a RX from a natural doctor. Someone just posted on another board that taking too much of it makes you really tired.

The Calm stuff is in powder form. You drink it like a tea. I've used it and like it. It comes in different flavors like lemon and raspberry. You can buy it at a healthfood store.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
(female)

AmbiLTDE HB User

When you get cravings, fill up on water and nutritious low GI foods to make you feel fuller for longer. I usually eat lentils and vegetables.

Also try exercising more.

Closed Thread