It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
(male)

Nektar HB User
Juicing and fiber?

If fiber is so important, why does our body expel it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
I don't understand why you don't get all your fruits and vegies. Instead of juicing them, you should just eat them whole. Whole foods are good for your health. You're going to pay your hard earned money for a juicer and then pay for perfectly good vegetables and then you will "beat them up" and throw away the best part, the fiber.

The "sweet" juice will zip into your system with lightening speed so as to spike your blood sugar and your insulin. And absent the fiber, you won't get the same feeling of fullness that should signal you to stop.

This being the health and nutrition board, I can't go along with the concept of juicing because it calls for throwing away the fiber which is so essential to good health. In my opinion, you would be better off to eat just one carrot whole, than to drink the juice of six. The same goes for apples or anything else.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Juicing

Your body expels fiber for a good reason. It is used mostly to clean out your digestive tract, which is very important. It's not meant to be retained.

Juicing is actually perfectly fine. When you eat a whole carrot, yes there is important fiber, but the vitamins are less bioavailable than with fresh carrot juice.

My advice obviously is to do both, not just juicing. If you are going to juice, make sure you also eat enough fiber from either fruits or vegetables, or other grain sources.

The Following User Says Thank You to bdrunner79 For This Useful Post:
Nektar (11-19-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
(male)

Nektar HB User

Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrunner79 View Post
Your body expels fiber for a good reason. It is used mostly to clean out your digestive tract, which is very important. It's not meant to be retained.

Juicing is actually perfectly fine. When you eat a whole carrot, yes there is important fiber, but the vitamins are less bioavailable than with fresh carrot juice.

My advice obviously is to do both, not just juicing. If you are going to juice, make sure you also eat enough fiber from either fruits or vegetables, or other grain sources.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I have a somewhat different understanding of juicing from reading, "The Fiber35 Diet" by Brenda Watson, C.N.C.. So I'll post some information in my own words, on a new thread. I hope it will be helpful. (Just allow time for posting.)

Old 12-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
(female)

fatoldlady HB User
Re: Juicing and fiber?

Juicing is meant to give your digestive system a change to rest and repair while you continue to get calories and doe your systems wtih micronutrients. Fiber in vwgetabel and fruitis very importn to give you digestive ssytems motility. It is generally recommended when you go a juice fast of any length,to take enemas or get a colonic to keep things moving.

Closed Thread